Xbox 360 E noise

Hi! I have recently bought an Xbox 360 E console and now I am worried about the sound it makes.

Idle on dashboard without a disc in tray, I can hear a slight whirring/buzzing noise like: rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. You can hear that noise even from 3-4 meters in a quiet room and it is constant even when playing from hdd. Volume up on TV and I can not hear it unless I am listening for it. It sounds almost like the old Xbox 360 S from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pow0NXoNJmc

I thought the E-version was supposed to be dead silent. Is it normal or a fault with the fan or something?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 21 Applies to:

I forgot to say that when I first powered on the console it had like a smell of warm (burning?) plastic.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It is (if same as the video) the fan, even though its called silent running a bit of noise is to be expected (my 360 rattles like hell till I prop a beer mat under one corner). I don't think it is anything to worry about but if you are worried then you could take back to store or return or repair to Xbox. Other than that tips on a quieter Xbox life ensure that the Xbox is on a flat horizontal surface, on something like glass or a glossy surface is best as it helps the rubber pads keep out any unwanted vibrations. Keep it well ventilated. Also installing game discs will help reduce how much the DVD is used and reduces noise from there too.

As for the burning smell as long as its not lasting its nothing to worry about my 360es have all done that too and I put it down to the 'newness' burning off but get it the first few times turning on but not for long

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.