Xbox 360 Disc Unreadable Problems/Dying Disc Drive

I bought the console back in 2010 when the Slims were first for sale, I purchased a warranty through ebgames but its up because its been more than a year.

Anyways,

Currently the console runs fine, everything works... minor problems here and there but that only because I play the thing for a good 5-8 hours and watch netflix on it at night. So glitches and minor errors are fine when using it all the time. 

But recently with Battlefield Bad Company 2 I would get disc unreadables, so After combinations using new discs, installing friends discs and even buying another version of the game it keeps getting a disc unreadable after about 30minutes of gameplay. (this is only after I downloaded the Vietnam expansion pack) But this wouldnt happen with any other game until now.

I am currently playing the Witcher 2, and have it installed on the HDD.. and I have received a disc unreadable once. Im worried because Everyone is telling me my disc drive is dying. Is there anyway to fix this? or Do I have to send the console to Microsoft? If so how do I go about sending it away?(I cant find the link on the website)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 39 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Technical support here: forums.xbox.com/.../71416.aspx

How to get your console repaired here: support.xbox.com/.../repair-process

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="Mr Gamezombie"]

I bought the console back in 2010 when the Slims were first for sale, I purchased a warranty through ebgames but its up because its been more than a year.

Anyways,

Currently the console runs fine, everything works... minor problems here and there but that only because I play the thing for a good 5-8 hours and watch netflix on it at night. So glitches and minor errors are fine when using it all the time. 

But recently with Battlefield Bad Company 2 I would get disc unreadables, so After combinations using new discs, installing friends discs and even buying another version of the game it keeps getting a disc unreadable after about 30minutes of gameplay. (this is only after I downloaded the Vietnam expansion pack) But this wouldnt happen with any other game until now.

I am currently playing the Witcher 2, and have it installed on the HDD.. and I have received a disc unreadable once. Im worried because Everyone is telling me my disc drive is dying. Is there anyway to fix this? or Do I have to send the console to Microsoft? If so how do I go about sending it away?(I cant find the link on the website)

[/quote]

Contact Xbox Support, but note that Xbox 360 S consoles only have a 1 year warranty.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

Soo im screwed?! 1 year warranty.... Why? what was the idea behind that? its the Slim its new? WTF Microsoft?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Mr Gamezombie"]

Soo im screwed?! 1 year warranty.... Why? what was the idea behind that? its the Slim its new? WTF Microsoft?

[/quote]

The Xbox 360 console comes with two warranties:  the General Warranty which lasts for 1 year and covers such things as DVD drive failure, and the General Hardware Failure Warranty which lasts for 5 years as I recall, which covers the three flashing red lights and E74.

The Xbox 360 S consoles comes with a 1 year warranty that covers everything.

You can always call Support and ask though.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

It sucks.. but hey thanks for the help... the forum on here is awesome seriously if i ever have a problem i log on here and you got know your stuff, thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been experiencing that disc unreadable thing and my S is only a couple months old. Also, all new games even though installed are spinning like crazy and making loud noises. The power brick is extremely loud too lol. I'm still under warranty but man, 10x louder than my original Pro.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="BlissRoland"]

I've been experiencing that disc unreadable thing and my S is only a couple months old. Also, all new games even though installed are spinning like crazy and making loud noises. The power brick is extremely loud too lol. I'm still under warranty but man, 10x louder than my original Pro.

[/quote]

Your installed games, does the spinning continue throughout your entire play session or just for about 5 minutes or so?  The new discs, which all new games are on, spin for a while longer now.

If the spinning you get is constant throughout the entire install, were the installs clean and new or did you transfer the content or switch HDD's?

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

The installs were clean for every single one of my games. Right when I first popped the game in, I install it everytime, so the disc is in perfect condition straight from the case. It spins constantly throughout my entire gaming session, no matter what... older games seem to be a lot quieter though

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="BlissRoland"]

The installs were clean for every single one of my games. Right when I first popped the game in, I install it everytime, so the disc is in perfect condition straight from the case. It spins constantly throughout my entire gaming session, no matter what... older games seem to be a lot quieter though

[/quote]

And you never transferred to a new console (using a transfer cable to copy to a new HDD or moving the HDD to another console)?

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I have transferred to a new xbox moving the old HDD to the new console, however, all these installs are completely new on the newer xbox. No previous game installs are being used after the console switch. x]

Sorry this didn't help.