Xbox 360 Controller is "Unspecified" - Xbox controller on computer

I have been trying to use my Xbox controller as the main source of computer control. It has been working for video game emulator use, but isn't recognized when i try to use XPadder to map commands for basic mouse and keyboard functions. (Lists Xbox controller as Unspecified)

I don't know complete computer specs but here is the info I have:
-Win 7 64bit OS
-Dell Precision M6300 laptop
-Intel duo Core

Connecting using the plug and play USB cord, which I had assumed was only for charging but it has been working for playing emulated games (as previously stated).

All drivers up to date, power ring on controller always flashing (all 4 sectors).

Any useful information would be helpful, thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 23 Applies to:

[quote user="HGA NEDxTUGENT"] Connecting using the plug and play USB cord, which I had assumed was only for charging but it has been working for playing emulated games (as previously stated).[/quote]It's not working via USB.

The port on the wireless 360 controller is only for power. No data is transferred across the port other than to tell the PC that there's a USB device that requires power.

I'd recommend picking up a USB Wireless Xbox 360 Controller unit.  It plugs in via USB, and allows you to connect up to 4 Xbox 360 Controllers wirelessly.  I use it all the time when I'm PC gaming.  Extremely compatible if you're running a Windows system. Especially 7 and up.  Mine came with a controller, and I paid about $60 for it.  Was completely worth it.  If that's a bit steep, or you really don't need an extra controller, you could search online to find the USB part of it by itself.