Xbox 360 4GB Slim question

My Xbox disc drive is not reading any disc, and it is now out of warranty. 

So if I had to get a new Xbox, could I use external USB based hard drive(s) instead of using Xbox HDD?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Looks good mate. But again, only 16Gb of that can be used for saves, DLC, game installs & XBLA.

Really? Ahh that's not good...

I know. MS had to draw the line somewhere, or nobody would buy their licensed console hard drives.

I get by okay on 4Gb + 16Gb USB flash memory though. Just have to be economical with your game installs!

Yep, but it has to be formatted to FAT32, usually formatted to NTFS by default. You can then format up to 16Gb of that to use as an Xbox Memory Unit.

[quote user="lewgiffard"]

Yep, but it has to be formatted to FAT32, usually formatted to NTFS by default. You can then format up to 16Gb of that to use as an Xbox Memory Unit.

[/quote]if he already has 2 external HDD then he can format both for the 360 as it can use 2x16GB external memory

Dunno mate, still rocking the old skool Arcade myself...

Found one of these.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_7

Even though their hard drives pricing are bordering on daylight robbery..hmm might have to get 250GB HDD since I install alot of games, DLCs and other contents. Is the Slim xbox kind on the disc compared to the older ones? And as for audio differences too.