Xbox 360 250 GB Slim Console keeps turning itself off and on?

I bought my console back in December of 2012 and it has been fine up until earlier today. The problem I seem to be having is that the console keeps turning itself off and on for some reason. My power supply is green and my Auto-Off is set to off. I took a dry microfiber cloth to the power and disk tray buttons but the problem persists. When it turns off or on, it makes the "ding" sound as if someone is pressing the button. Anyone have a solution for this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 84 Applies to:

Hi. You don't mention how often it powers on and off by itself, so I'll give a few general suggestions.

1. Power strip/surge protector going bad. Try another or plug directly into outlet.

2. Settings changed on T.V.. Some T.V.s will power down devices that are hooked up when powering down.

3. Interference with another device. Any new devices in the house? Universal remotes, garage door openers, etc..

4. Neighbors with new devices?

5. Have the X Box remote? Stuck button on the remote, faulty remote, etc..

>

If you bought the console in December of 2012 you are under the 1 year warranty. Worst case scenario call support at 1-800-4MY-XBOX or if you prefer to do it online myservice.xbox.com/.../Welcome.aspx .

>

Hope this helps, J.R.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Had the same problem awhile back. Found out it was new wireless headphones I had purchased. I moved the receiver, and haven't had a problem since. Brought the console to a friend's house this morning, and it began doing it again. I had the kinect sitting atop the console. Moved that and I haven't had any problems for about an hour. Not sure if yours is the same exact problem that I was having, but you may want to experiment with moving different gadgets around in your entertainment center. Like D33dles said, it can be pretty much anything that operates wirelessly.

Sorry this didn't help.

my console shuts down on its own while making the "ding" sound, someone told me it was a safety feature to stop it from red ringing, and another said it was from a faulty power chord. Not sure which but my console is over a year old and it stopped for a couple months but it started doing it again the other day. It takes me about 5-6 times to start it up and keep it running. Not sure if this helps your situation but is all i could find out. You would think after 8 years they would have all the bugs worked out but then again were talkin about Microsoft here guys, i wouldnt set your expectations to high.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the answers back guys, but the problem persists. I'll just go ahead and do what D33dles said and call support. Thanks for the responses.

Sorry this didn't help.