XBO in top 10 breakthroughs for 2013

Popular Mechanics named the Xbox One one of the top ten "breakthrough" products for 2013:

"Some products are evolutionary, others are revolutionary. The Xbox One is both. The most notable improvement is the new Kinect sensor, which is integral to the operation of the console. It can see in total darkness, track the fine movements of your hands and muscles, and even sense your heartbeat. Gamers may have taken issue with the Xbox One's price ($500) and paywall restrictions (some features require a $50 per year subscription), but technologically it's a huge upgrade from its predecessor. The platform is so advanced that developers have barely begun to grasp all its possibilities.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

I was impressed with that 50" 4K TV for $1300!

I agree with the tv! That's a great price for a 4k tv. But until 4k becomes the norm, I won't be purchasing a new tv anytime soon. I'm very happy with 1080p.

$1300 for a 50" 4K TV!? That's 10 in. larger & 1/2 price compared to what I paid for my current TV (A 40" LCD 1080p HD Samsung TV)!!!

Sounds like you got ripped off.

LoL... That 4k TV is on QVC. Nothing great about it. 3000:1 contrast ratio?? You overpaid for your Samsung regardless, so ya any TV deal is going to make  that purchase seem horrible. But ya, anyone that buys that TV, is only buying it to say "I have a 4k TV" An not mention how horrible crappy it is. I am sure there are 720P TVs out there that would make that 4k TV look like complete crap.

[quote user="Pwnt Nub Inc"]

LoL... That 4k TV is on QVC. Nothing great about it. 3000:1 contrast ratio?? You overpaid for your Samsung regardless, so ya any TV deal is going to make  that purchase seem horrible. But ya, anyone that buys that TV, is only buying it to say "I have a 4k TV" An not mention how horrible crappy it is. I am sure there are 720P TVs out there that would make that 4k TV look like complete crap.

[/quote]

Anything in life, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

When I see "cheap" things like that I always know, 4K TV will be widely adopted by 2016-17 I would think though.

And yeah Galactic I saw some great Sony 44" TVs for half of what you paid and probably better but these things are heavily based on when you buy them, as-well as who you buy them from.

Considering I got my Samsung 4+ years ago when TV prices were much higher (& it was the 2nd best TV available at that time & still holds up very well today), no I didn't overpay... Besides, the $3,000 price tag was after taxes & extended warranty...

how can the console sense my heartbeat???

[quote user="Galactic Geek"]

Considering I got my Samsung 4+ years ago when TV prices were much higher (& it was the 2nd best TV available at that time & still holds up very well today), no I didn't overpay... Besides, the $3,000 price tag was after taxes & extended warranty...

[/quote]

6 years ago I bought a 65" HP for just barely over $2K. Even before that I bought the 58" HP model with extended warranty for less than $1,800 and gave it to my father before I upgraded. Last year around Black Friday I bought an 82" Mitsubishi for just under $1,500, and that equals to over 4X your screen size. Sorry, but you grossly overpaid.

[quote user="FlintyGull79"]

how can the console sense my heartbeat???

[/quote]

Pigment changes in your face, such as your cheeks, it monitors very subtle changes. basically making use of its high fidelity camera and time of flight technology.