XBLPET --> Gamer Tag / Player Data Input - Filter

NOTE: XBLPET you have been identified as the owner/operator of the filter that governs Gamer Tag creation which is also the same filter that developers are forced to use to govern Player Input Data. This forum is the ONLY avenue of communication to you and this post is directed at the XBLPET.

Of course others can and will post here. I have no control over that. And I may or may not respond to them.

Your filter. It's broken. <-- short version

I have spent several months learning about your filter for Gamer Tags which is also the same filter that game developers are required to impliment into their games for player input data such as Clan Tags and Custom Class Names in COD:Black Ops.

To create a clan tag in Black Ops you have to pass this language filter. The language filter checks your GT as well as what ever you put in as a clan tag. However if it determines that your GT is "offensive text" then you will get the "clan tag denied due to prohibited text" no matter what tag you attempt to create. That is what is happening to me. Through checking parts of my GT in the creat a class (uses the same filter so a great way to try different words or parts of a GT to see what is getting caught in the filter) and found out that the word "midnight" is considered offensive text. Obviously it was ok 5 years ago when I created my GT it but it has since been flagged as offensive. My GT however was "grandfathered" in which was good and bad. Cause now I am prohibited from using any in game features that require my GT to pass through the filter as is the case with COD:BO.

This filter is not very consistent. I tried variations of my name and others to see what parts it would and would not allow. I tested this
in the class descriptions. In the class descriptions it gives the "Denied due to profanity" error instead of the "prohibited text".

ACCEPTED
ISSI
mdnight
night
dnight
idnight
bassani
assani
assalt

DENIED
midnight
assa
assult
asslt

On top of it all there is a rapidly growing list of non offensive words that are also getting caught in this filter:

Midnight (outlined above)
Beast
Jersey
man 198 (separate they are fine but when put together like "man 198" it is flaged as offensive text, this was reported by GT "stick man 1987" and confirmed by me)
**** (assault1 is ok though.....)

So no one can create a GT using any of these words and anyone who already has a GT with these words in them are unable to use any game feature that cross cheks with your GT (such as the clan tag feature in COD:BO).

So the filter is broken. It has seemingly picked words at random that are fine and deemed them as offensive. (I assume that as I can not see any reason why such words would be picked deliberately as offensive, not to mention how inconsistent the filter is.)

Also refer to the Activision forums where more dussion and research on this matter has been discussed: http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=412611&p=5820313&sid=hhcr2fjmsdb18ku1hthg9fff22#p5820313

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 42 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="ISSI Midnight"]NOTE: XBLPET you have been identified as the owner/operator of the filter that governs Gamer Tag creation which is also the same filter that developers are forced to use to govern Player Input Data. This forum is the ONLY avenue of communication to you and this post is directed at the XBLPET.[/quote]

The only forums that the XBL PET post in are:

14 - My LIVE account was suspended

15 - Account Suspensions v2

If they are the people you need to talk to, this is the wrong forum. (I would have expected that the developers' own filtering was in place, but the external link doesn't get to the relevant topic so I haven't seen the thread.)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for trying to help.

Posts in those forums are specifice to account suspensions only. Posts in those forums must be aproved before they even allow to be posted. I DID post this there it was not approved. Xbox tech support made it clear that the ONLY avenue of communications with the XBLPET is through the xbox.com forums and they directed me to THIS specific sub forum as the correct place to communicate with the XBLPET about this issue.

Yes I know exactly what you know. I am just going through the motions in hopes that we are both wrong but also to prove my point that there is no two way communication possible with the XBLPET for someone with a valid complaint such as myself.

If this goes unanswered as you and I both expect then I will spam Stepto on twitter till I get some form of two way dialog about this issue.

While I am here again I would like to take the time to point out that the letter "j" has been falgged as offensive by the filter. This means that no one can create a new GT with the letter "j" (by itself) in it and also no one who currently has the letter "j" in their GT can use the Clan tag feature in COD:BO as is the case with the gamer whos GT is "iin ii in j a a". Yes an odd GT but it's his GT.

This filter IS broken and needs to be fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Xbox support always directs to the wrong forums when it comes to the XBLPET members.  However, I do not believe that they are responsible for the filters only enforcing what the filters specify.  Perhaps some more research on that topic may be in order.

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no correct forum for this. I am really unhappy that I am forced to post in the foums. There really needs to be another avenue to communicate with the XBLPET. Everyone here knows that the likelyhood of getting a resonse from the XBLPET is nill to none.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="ISSI Midnight"]

There is no correct forum for this. I am really unhappy that I am forced to post in the foums. There really needs to be another avenue to communicate with the XBLPET. Everyone here knows that the likelyhood of getting a resonse from the XBLPET is nill to none.

[/quote]

If  you really feel that way try sending on of them a PM on the forums. They might reply. Just remember that don't have to but you can give it a shot.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you fyerball 72 for trying to help. I have already PM'ed two of them about this. No response. I have also tweeted Stepto. Again no response. But I will give them another day or two to respond to this thread before I take the next step.

Sorry this didn't help.

Add "Fabulous" and "Blame ______" to your list...I'm currently having this problem as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info. I am looking for all the rediculous words that have been banned/filtered that are clearly not offensive. However this is not the correct thread. This threads only purpose is to attempt to open up a two way communication with the XBLPET as there are no other avenues to do so than here. I did add your two words to my other thread, but if anyone else wants to report words or unoffensive Gamer Tags that are affected by this please post them in the following thread:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/a_d/codblackops/f/313/p/80451/392415.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

I have PM'ed XBLPET Golf linking to this thread and I have emailed Stepto. Hopefully the ball will begin rolling soon. Just need confirmation that the XBLPET is in charge of this broken filter. If so then we need an acknowledgement of the issue and a resolution. If not then please help me find the right Microsoft entity in charge of the filter.

Sorry this didn't help.

Still no response from anyone.

Sorry this didn't help.