XBLA and DLC on 2 Xbox Ones in Same Household

We got a Day One and it's in my sons' room, figured I'd move it back and forth as necessary.  That's just not going to work out as well as I'd like so I'm going to buy a second Xbox One within the next few days.  My XBL account is gold and on the Day One so the boys should have online gaming access with their silver accounts, no problem, without my having to be signed in on the Day One.  I'm going to download my XBL account to the new Xbox One, probably put their silver accounts on there as well.  Again, not a problem, as each account will only be signed in on one Xbox One at a time.  But how's it going to work for XBLA games and DLC?  I'm figuring I should buy and first download all digital content on the Day One under my account so that should give the boys use of it without me having to be signed in on the Day One.  Then redownload the XBLA games and DLC I want to use on the new Xbox One.  I'll have to be signed in on the second console to use the digital content, but, again, I don't have to also be signed in on my sons' Day One, the original download console, for them to use the content -- still only a single sign in required for my account.  (Obviously we probably can't be playing the same digital games and/or DLC on both consoles at the same time, but that's not a problem, either.)

Does this make sense per XBL digital content policy?  I don't mind buying the second Xbox One but I don't want to have to buy two copies of the same games and DLC for the same household.  They don't have to be played on both consoles at the same time but I don't want to have to buy them twice to be played at all on both consoles.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

If you make sure the one in their room is the HOME console, you should be fine. Any digital purchases can be accessed on any other system you sign into with your profile. Far as I'm aware, say you buy the digital version of BF4, they could be playing it on the HOME console while you play on the other.

Heya buddy,im not looking forward to having to call xbox support tomorrow as I have come across a few things now that just dont make any sense with the licences,the profiles permitted to use dlc across the family on the xb1,for one forza has some right issues with the dlc, forza vip pass downloaded to one of the family profiles, yet can only be used by that one and if you try to buy it for another the xb1 just says its already installed but unusable,im waiting till I can get on the phone with them to make sure its sorted and in minimum amount of time.

-

And I completely relate , as it involves my kids too,but having the xb1 since launch its one of the many tweeks they will have to patch in time if there is no immediate fix,im hoping to get a new xb1 soon as next payday comes for exact same reason so thanks for starting this thread.

Hiya, the VIP Pass for Forza 5 is not able to accessed by multiple accounts. The content is licensed to one profile, and you would need to repurchase that content for any other profile that wanted to be a "VIP."

VIP Car Pack (and VIP Benefits)
The VIP Car Pack is included with the FM5 Limited Edition package.  This pack is available to standard version owners for digital purchase separately, via the Store from the console dashboard, and from within the game (selecting the VIP Rivals group).  It includes 5 car models that are not available in the standard game installation or in any other pack.  These cars do not come with designs or tuning setups as the Day One and Limited Edition cars do. The VIP car pack does not gift any cars to your garage (other than the note in Benefits); you will be able to rent the cars for Free Play and Multiplayer use but they must be bought with credits or tokens to add them to your My Cars collection or for use in Career or Rivals events.  Note for family consoles: only the account that is logged in when the VIP pack is purchased will have the VIP benefits listed below - all accounts will have access to the VIP car models.

• 1965 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
  • 1987 RUF CTR Yellowbird
  • 1991 Mazda #55 787B
  • 2011 Ford F150 SVT Raptor
  • 2011 Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

The VIP pack also includes the following benefits:

• 2x reward acceleration (credits for Driver Level increases)
  • exclusive multiplayer events (Rivals)
  • exclusive in-game player badge
  • exclusive in-game gifts from the Forza team (Xbox Gold required to receive gifts)
  • Lotus E21 race car gifted to your garage (see 11-27-13 WIR for info)
  • Ferrari 250 GTO gifted to your garage if you own the E21 as of 11/27
  • Download an on-disc car of your choice (see 11-17-13 WIR for info)

The VIP pack does not include tokens; a token pack came with the Limited Edition of the game.

Source

-Jim

This might not be relevant, but the Call of Duty DLC has always been per user not per console or per house, it can make it very expensive.

Just to add, if your wanting to play games together I think you will also nee to pay for two copies if you want them to be on seperate consoles, of course you can split screen

Thanks for all the answers.  Yeah, I'm not too worried about some kinds of DLC like Call of Duty and VIP passes.  I'm used to some or even most of those being single-user deals because the game's publisher decides that's how they're going to do it for DLC packs.  Though, yeah, it is annoying, considering you're sharing those things with your kids, not your buddy who lives across the country.  I'm more concerned if I buy like Crimson Dragon or Max: The Curse of the Brotherhood, that we'll be able to play it on both Xbox Ones, not necessarily at the same time, though that would be nice if we could.  And also for playing together online I generally expect we have to have two copies.   Sometimes we wait for price drops, or buy one and rent second.

The Xbox One in the boys' room is set as the HOME console, on my profile and their profiles.  For safety's sake, I'll make all digital content purchases from that console and then redownload to the second console.

Anyway, my brand new second Xbox One is sitting by my desk right now so here in a bit I'll set it up and see how it goes.  I'll report back, though I haven't bought anything digital yet so I may not be able to tell too much just yet.  I wonder if the day-one edition DLC for Forza, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse will redownload to the new console and play on it.  Kinect Fitness is tied to gold accounts so I should be able to snag that no problem.  What about Killer Instinct?  Was that a day-one thing only or is that a gold thing, too?  I guess I'll find out.

Okay, everything went super smooth.  Except for I didn't have the Kinect plugged all the way in when I first started up and after the Xbox One did the initial update just plugging the Kinect all the way in, it wasn't recognized, and I had to completely pull the power from the console to get the Kinect recognized.  I was worried I somehow wound up with bad Kinect -- I've haven't heard of people with failed Kinects but you never know -- and I'd have to drive all the way back to the store and swap out for another Xbox One.  But it was fine after all.

Anyway, as to putting my account on the Xbox One.  Seamless, no problems, synced my game saves, did not force the new console as my HOME console, left the Day One as my HOME console, I successfully redownloaded and installed the Forza 5 Day One DLC which other accounts on this second Xbox One probably have to have me logged in to use, but that's no problem.  You can't be logged into two Xbox Ones at the same time but I'll never have a situation where that's an issue.  I'll make purchases and downloads on my HOME console, my sons' Day One edition, and because I'm XBL Gold and that's my HOME console and the console of original download, they'll have full access to online play and to any digital content -- provided it's not some of the aforementioned single-user DLC like some Call of Duty DLC and various season pass or premium pass programs; and with those it wouldn't matter anyway because it's single-user no matter who's logged in.

Also redownloaded Killer Instinct, no problem.

If you've got some money sunk into your home theater system and you haven't bothered setting up the TV features, let's do that, shall we?  I can now definitely see what Microsoft is up to here.  You don't have to have the most common components in the world for it to work.  First of all, it really works, and it's not just a gee-whiz gadget tack on.  Let me put it this way, my wife is tech-savvy enough, she as smartphone and a tablet, etc., but she is completely impervious to shiny neat-o-keen but pretty useless tech stuff, and she LOVES it.  Tell it Xbox On and the TV and surround receiver all turn on and with the proper delay so nothing gets hung up missing the HDMI signal.  The cable box integration is great, at least for Verizon FiOS.  I don't watch much TV -- I mean, I watch a couple shows I record every week and I watch a ton of movies, but just TV for TV's sake not so much.  But my wife enjoys crashing after a long shift at work and watching National Geographic or Lifetime or Discovery or TLC, a large variety of channels that you have to remember the 3-digit HD channel numbers or jump into the cable box guide and scroll forever to get to the HD channels.  Not anymore.  You just say "Watch National Geographic," you're there.  You can set it up so if there's an HD version of the channel it hides the SD version of that channel, so it always goes to the HD channel.

I also get the whole original content management thing.  It just makes more sense with total system voice control not to have get up and put in a disc to play a game.  That content management system came with drawbacks, of course, but I do understand why they tried it.  You can still do pretty much the same thing if you buy all your games as digital but if you like to buy on disc you've got to go put that disc in.  I prefer discs, probably because I'm old enough I'm just used to physical media, and without the binding to accounts content management, well I have to go put the disc in.  Not a big deal but still once you have it all working together you can see why an account content-linking system does make a fair amount of sense.

In summary, keeping two Xbox Ones in your household is just not a problem.  It's essentially transparent, except you should buy and first download content on your HOME console, and when you start a game, the sync process will take a little bit longer since it will probably have more data to sync.  But you can play on either one, don't have to manually copy data from the cloud.  Switching consoles every day or once a month, like playing on your usual console.  It's a very, very good implementation and they're still early into it.

As for the current console generation, we have a WiiU, a PS4 and now the two Xbox Ones.  I'm not much of a console warrior, don't get into the squabbles about what's "better."  I like games and any console maker that can provide me some good games well, sooner or later, I'm in.  But if Microsoft is aiming to be the center of your home entertainment world with the Xbox One, it's the only current generation console even closing to being that.  And the first-party launch titles are great, too.  Some will appeal more than others based on individual tastes but they all have things to recommend them.

Sorry I've gone on so long but there's a lot of wow factor when you set everything up properly and especially going through the process of maintaining two Xbox Ones in the same household, how just flat easy and painless it is.