XBL Lag Issues/Staying connected

Hello all. I don't know why I didn't post here earlier, but I am now. For the past few months, I've been having trouble both connecting to other players on XBL, and staying connected to XBL itself. The problems really started happening after I started playing the Gears 3 Beta, and every game I would lag horribly and be kicked out of the match. So I looked around online for a way to help fix this, and found that forwarding the ports that XBL uses on my router could help. So I did that, but that didn't work. Then I saw that I could place my 360's IP address in the DMZ and maybe that would help, but it didn't. And a few days ago, I thought maybe someone was stealing my internet, so I changed my router's password and encryption type to WPA, but that didn't solve the problem either (although, it does seem my connection overall is a bit better, weird). I've gotten a hold of my ISP (Comcast) and they've run diagnostic tests on my modem and router and everything seems to be fine. My signal from my 360's wireless adapter to the router is strong, so I don't think it's a signal issue.

Anyway, I have no idea what to do next. I dunno if this is relevant, but I'm also having connection issues with my laptop aswell. Kinda similar to my 360 problem, it'll randomly disconnect from the internet 10-15 times a day, sometimes for 10 seconds, sometimes for 15 minutes. I dunno if it's Comcast, the modem/router, my 360/laptop, or what. Any help would be VERY appreciated. If you need any more information than what's below, let me know (and maybe let me know where to find that info since I'm just a beginner with this stuff).

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Webster, Texas
Modem brand & model number: **** (Touchstone Telephony Modem), TM602G/CT
Router brand & model number: SMC Barricade N, SMCWBR14S-N4 CCR
Network Connection Type: Wireless
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? WPA2-PSK
Things you have tried: Forwarding the ports that XBL uses on my router. Placing my 360's IP address into the DMZ. Power cycling. Changing my router's password (thought maybe someone was stealing my internet and taking up bandwidth).
Is UPnP Enabled? Unknown
Is NAT Type Open? Yes
Any Error Codes you encounter: None
What type of internet do you have? Cable
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Comcast
When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen? None

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

I would perform a speed test on your line to help determine the issue. pingtest.net will give you an idea of how high your latency is to various servers around the states.  I have not used a cable modem in many years but my bet is a faulty modem. I have had my DSL modem tested a few times to be told it works fine but had similar disconnects.  I spent the money and replaced it myself and have yet to be disconnected in the last few years.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tested my speed on pingtest.net a few times (well, 6 times on 3 different servers), and here are the results.

The first 3 times I tested:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/43476263.png - Dallas, TX

http://www.pingtest.net/result/43476419.png - Columbus, OH

http://www.pingtest.net/result/43476685.png - Los Angeles, CA

Then something weird happened. While I was running these tests, I kept getting a Java message up top saying that my current Java version was out of date. So I updated it, and then a few minutes later tested again and these are the results.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/43476718.png - Dallas

http://www.pingtest.net/result/43476777.png - Columbus

http://www.pingtest.net/result/43476809.png - LA

I doubt updating Java had anything to do with the difference, but I just thought it was weird.

Anyway, I probably will be getting a new modem to see if my current one is faulty, but I'm not sure how to go about choosing a good modem (or what a good modem even is). Have any suggestions? I really wanna take care of this ASAP of course.

Sorry this didn't help.

Before investing in a new router, could you also post your upload and download speeds for us, too? You can obtain those from speedtest.net.

Sorry this didn't help.

I assume you meant investing in a new modem, right? Or maybe EDG misspoke and meant router (I wouldn't know either way). Andddd here's my speedtest result.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1382793939.png

Sorry this didn't help.

The results look good and within normal specs.  The problem you describe is exactly what was happening to me but was curred when I swapped DSL modems.  I'm not familiar enough with cable modems to tell you that you should swap them but maybe someone else can suggest it with confidence.  Your router could be at fault but I'm not familiar with that type either.  Your ISP should be able to look through the log files of the modem to determine if there is any loss from it.  You may have to demand a higher level of support in order to explain the issue you are having and what you want them to look for. When you lose connection do you lose it to both the Xbox and your laptop at the same time or just one device?

Sorry this didn't help.

If my internet hiccups for 10-20 seconds, it'll just be my laptop that disconnects. But when it goes out for 5-10 minutes, it's both. My router will seemingly lose connection to the internet then reconnect shortly after.

Also, when I'm lagging in a multiplayer game, my internet speed on the laptop is still fine (and, thinking that maybe my laptop being on the internet is taking up bandwidth, I often shut off the laptop to see if my XBL connection improves, but it never does. It's also just usually my 360/laptop on my home network, occasionaly my mom's desktop is too).

It's odd that this all started after playing the Gears 3 Beta too. I swear, those dedicated servers *** up my *** <_<. Anyway, I currently have my router settings back to normal (no ports forwarded, nothing in the DMZ, my IP address is dynamic, all of which is how it was before the Gears 3 problems, yet the lag/disconnecting is still persisting).

Anyway, I think I'll call my ISP again and ask them what you said. Hopefully they can determine if it's the router/modem/something else. If not, I'll start eliminating problems by buying a new modem or router.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you can find UPnP in your router and disable it (if enabled) it may help things as well.   You have more than enough bandwidth up and down for both devices to run at the same time.

Sorry this didn't help.