XBL connection failures (11 things, I tried)

Hello, i am having an issue connecting to XBL.  The wi-fi receiver's light is almost always green. Just assume I can't reach the router with an Ethernet cable... it's worked before as a trouble-shooter, but my goal is not a wired connection, and using a 100-foot cord is not an option, according to who's in charge around here.

Now that the context is explained, here is what's happening:

1) When xbox detects wireless systems, it says a generic 'dlink_media' network is there, instead of the actual named
   named that I use for my computer.  (very strange, indeed)

2) A network called 'dlink_media' does not exist.  Instead, the xbox thinks it does. (My xbox is the only thing that
    sees it.  No computer in this house detects or uses 'dlink_media'.  They all use the normal, named network.)

3) When I manually punch in the SSID name of the normal network system, so that my xbox can detect it,   it is detected  (i assume I have to do this because it is
   getting crowded out by the other "d-link_media" one?)

4) My xbox can simultaneously detect both of these network systems. (now THAT'S creepy)

5) Anyway, the WPA2 passcode for the appropriate network, is accepted.

6) The router's DHCP is enabled.

7) Assigning a static IP via the Xbox doesn't seem to be effective.

8) The router's MTU is at 1500, which is high enough.

9) I've checked all the settings in router that xbox asks me to except for the MAC address filter. I have no idea
   where this is on a DIR-825 admin webpage... But this xbox has never been filtered before though, why should it
   now?

10)  After resetting the router, etc., I still get a 'red X' going from the xbox to the network. (1st connection step)

11) I tried the xbox network help website (troubleshooting)  It didn't work!  (unhappy face)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Hey mate, thanks for the wealth of information up front. We are going to need a bit more info, though, so please take a few minutes to answer these questions. I see that you followed the LIVE troubleshooting page, meaning you unplugged your router and modem in order to reset them, correct? If not, be sure to do so. Also, have you tried temporarily disabling the security on your router, to see if that allows your Xbox 360 to 'see' the router? 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

We're not authorized to remove the security due to neighbors illegally downloading files through our wi-fi and getting us in trouble. Sorry.  But we spent a long time getting the security the way it is.  The xbox has always run just fine with security encrypted wi-fi.  I doubt that is the issue, here.

Sorry this didn't help.

In that case, it would be extremely helpful to try the Xbox 360 on a wired connection in your home. Rather than using a 100 foot cable, could you try temporarily moving the Xbox 360 and the display, or using a different display closer to the router? Also, please take the time to answer those questions as requested above.

Sorry this didn't help.