X-box randomly turns on and off

I've read a few posts regarding this same problem but haven't found the solution.  Shortly after starting a game the X-box will turn itself off, and sometimes immediately turn itself back on.  The time it does it varies from the 1st 8 minutes to being able to play for up to 18 minutes before turning off.  The power box displays solid lights, green when on and yellow when off.  I've cleaned the no-touch sensor and have gone so far as to cover it with a paper to eliminate shadows.  When the system shuts down early it doesn't even feel hot.  This has become very frustrating.  Open to anymore suggestions.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Any possibility of an issue with the power source? I've experienced issues with bad surge protectors in the past.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey folks,

I would recommend making sure both the power supply, and the Xbox 360 console have adequate ventilation and airflow.

You can refer to the Finding the best location for your Xbox 360 console article if you need any tips.

Sorry this didn't help.

sometimes the xbox does not feel hot when it overheats. this happened to me, although the time periods where a little bit longer. It would turn itself back on when it was cooled down.

Sorry this didn't help.