X-Box Live signing in issues

Hello everyone. My son is trying to log into Xbox live and it is asking for parental consent and that we have to log on to Microsoft. Once we get to that website we are asked to put in our credit card and that Microsoft will charge 50 cents to the credit card and will donate this to charity 9to verify we are an adult). My son is already into a 12 month PRE-PAID Xbox Gold live account. Once he updated the system, this message came up. What gives? Microsoft has already verified our account information. Is this going to happen everytime there is an update? Is there anyone else experiencing this problem?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

Microsoft is acting in compliance with a recent COPPA (Child Online Privacy Protection Act) update which requires companies to verify that an adult is giving consent for children 13 and under (or is that under 13?  Right around there) to provide their information for online services.  Many companies use a small fee to verify this, as it is the quickest way to verify an adult is at the helm, since children are not issued credit cards.  Other means some companies have used might be to have someone fill out forms and fax them to the company, or mail them through postal carriers.  This can take significantly more time and effort, however, so Microsoft chose to use the small fee method.  It is a one-time fee applied once per child account being verified.  I experienced no problems with this system when verifying consent for my daughter's account.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So they won't charge a fee every time the system is updated?

Sorry this didn't help.

Indeed not.  The $0.50 charge is a one-time deal to keep Microsoft in compliance with COPPA's recent update, and is unrelated to the system update.  System updates are semi-frequent, and designed to keep the operating system on par with the latest coding rollouts, fixing bugs, re-organizing content based on new formats and layouts, etc.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank You

Sorry this didn't help.