X-Box 360 console isn´t reading any disc

The X-Box worked fine some weeks ago, then I made a pause for about 4 weeks and when I turned it on today it made an update and now it isn´t reading any disc. Neither a game nor a movie. I don´t get any error Messages. Can any1 help please?

thanks in advance

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

Hi,

Are you able to tell if the disk is spinning inside the drive? you should be able to hear it spinning up as soon as you close the tray with a disk in there.  

Your Xbox may need to be sent in for repair if running a lens cleaning disk through it doesn't fix this.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It makes a Sound as if it wants to begin Spinning but stops very soon and I get the message open tray. That´s exactly what is worrying me. Seems as if the motor is defect. I read the the costs of repairing are quite high 90 Euro plus tax. My XBox is 5 years old. I´m afraid the next repair is not far away.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Phoebe,

Sorry to hear your console isn't wanting to read discs.

Luckily we have a very handy support tool. Here is our Xbox 360 Can’t Read Disc tool. 

I would suggest walking through that tool, as it will either get this working for you, or let you know the next best step.

Let us know how that goes, or if you have anymore questions.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Phoebe,

I've had this same issue before. It could be a motor or the lens/eye going out. If you or anyone in your home smoke near or around your Xbox it can potentially damage the lens as well as the Xbox's enternal hardware. Also, if you do not avoid dust build up on or around your Xbox it can lead to issues that cause this problem.

In my case I had to send my Xbox off for repair. I also used to be a smoker & have had this issue several times. All times were during the period I smoked in my house and or near my Xbox. Once I quit smoking my Xbox was no longer exposed to the smoke, tar, etc & I have not had the issue again.

I also suggest that if you are able to get a disc to read that you install said disc. Installing you discs are a great way to reduce wear & tear on your discs, console & also helps to run the Xbox itself quiter.

I hope that this helps & that you are able to get this issue resolved. Best of luck to you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would also like to add that any lense/eye will go out or become tempermental over time simple due to use. Depending on how frequently you use your Xbox may play a roll in it. As you said yourself, your Xbox is 5 years old. To my knowledge that is the average lifespan of current generation consoles unless maintained on a regular basis. Again, best of luck to you & I hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

So the disk spins up and you get an "open tray" error. This to me sounds like the laser needs replacing. I myself repair consoles and I'm sure that is the problem. I have fixed many consoles with the "open tray" error and a laser replacement generally does the job, unless there is another problem. 90 Euros plus tax to do what exactly?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your hints. Seems it is the laser. I don´t Play so often. When I buy a new game I Play almost every day for about an hour until I got the 1000 Points. Think that shouldn´t be too much for a console. 90 Euros plus tax is too much for me, and I´m afraid the next part will be out of order soon, and I have to get it fixed too. Perhaps there is a Special offer for a xbox for xmas and I can get me a new one. Another question perhaps you can help me. I have an extern hdd 60gb can I use this one on a new XBox? All my saves are on this one, my Profile too.

Thanks in advance

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Phoebe!

When you say an external HDD, do you mean the HDD for the Original White Xbox 360 console that snaps onto the top? Or do you mean an actual external HDD (like you would use with a PC)?

• If you mean an Xbox 360 hard drive that snaps onto the top, you will only be able to use that if you buy the same style of console. Otherwise you can use a hard drive transfer cable to save your data.
  • If you mean an actual external HDD (like you would use with a PC) then you can use that with your new console, but it will read like a 16gb USB drive.

I hope that helps clear things up. Let us know if you have any questions. =)

Sorry this didn't help.

I meant an original HDD that snaps on the top. that means I can´t buy a Slim or an E console. Just great. It would be helpful if the Equipment would fit on all XBOX consoles but it helps them get more money. Either I have to buy a new HDD or a cable.

Thanks for the help Mister Cerb. I hope there will be the same style console available in the Shops at xmas.

Sorry this didn't help.

You're very welcome Phoebe! Let us know if you have any other questions. =)

Sorry this didn't help.