I'll admit it - I'm a Microsoft guy. I loved the original Xbox, and MS took it to an entirely new level with the 360. That only boosted my hopes with the XB1's announcement a few years back. Now that I've had it for the last 18 months, I must vent.
Below are my issues. If anyone asked me right now what I thought about the XB1 on a level of 1-10, it'd be about a 3. Wow. A 3!! I will admit that the only game I play is COD:AW, so some of these issues (or all??) may be the game itself and not the console. Chip in - sway me - make me believe that my issues are with the game, or that they're exclusive to just me. I'm begging you.
1. The controller doesn't always turn on the console. It's just weird. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. Even if I manually turn on the console, the controller just won't connect. I try to re-sync it, but no luck. My ONLY recourse is to shut it down, let it cool down, and the disconnect the power cord for a few seconds. Then magically it works...until it fails again at some point. I HATE THIS.
2. The controller becomes unresponsive. On occasion, it will just cease to function. I can turn on the console with it, get into a game, play a bit, and then it just stops working. I've noticed that sometimes it's the batteries (I have a rechargeable cord and pack). When that happens, I plug the cord in to turn the controller back on. But I get nothing. The light on the Xbox button comes on as if it WANTS to sync, but it is ultimately unresponsive. I HATE THIS.
3. Once in AW, I can't join a friend's game or "party." I say, "Party," because I know it's the game and not truly the party. For whatever reason, AW decided to list "Join Party" instead of what they really meant - "Join Game." And it's really just the game LOBBY. The bottom line is I can ONLY join the game lobby if I'm invited. Everyone else is the same. We spend so much time saying, "Hey, invite me," that's it's frustrating. Then some can't join others, etc. You can click the home button on the controller (if it responds - see #4), go up, go over, select Friends, go down, select the friend who's playing, select Join, scroll down, then select Join Game or Party (or both). H-O-L-Y C-R-A-P, Batman - who wants to do that?!? As unresponsive as the console is, this "step" takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I HATE THIS.
4. The in-game buttons are slow in response. When an invite is sent, you have to hit the home button to accept it - but not too early and not too late or you're ***. Are you kidding me? Half the time it asks me if I want to turn off my console. A quarter of the time it literally shuts off just my controller. And if I'm too late, I have to hit the home button, scroll up twice, select the messages icon in the upper, left-hand corner, and ATTEMPT to select one of the many requests sent to me by my friends and HOPE that it takes. Other times while in the game, it's just as unresponsive. Say the game is over, and I just want to exit out of that room. I can't. I have to wait until AW is literally ready for me to exit. Button mashing be damned. I HATE THIS.
5. I love how power users (see; Major Nelson) states, "...and then you can quickly watch TV, download games, or snap right back to the game you're playing!" Nothing's "quick" about this console. Everything takes too long. Why would the 360 be That.Much.More.Responsive? I HATE THIS.
6. Why do I have to download the disc to the system for every game? That's HUGE and takes up so much space! Yeah, I see that they now have a 1TB option. That's a pacifier and not a solution. I can hear the games spinning, which means they're not pulling entirely from the local drive. Back in the day, you could install games to the local drive and everything was so much faster that way. Now you HAVE to install it to the local drive, it STILL spins from the disc, and it's MUCH slower. I HATE THIS.
7. This doesn't happen often, but when it does (like it did last night) it sucks. When playing AW, it sometimes get so slow in frame rate that it's unplayable. It feels worse than the original Doom! The solution? Shut it down, wait for it to cool, disconnect the brick, and spin it all the way back up. I HATE THIS.
Sure I could pick up a PS4 and have other issues. Sure I could play another game and rid myself of probably half of these complaints. I just know what "good" looks like - and this is not it. I enjoy playing COD with my friends online, and therein lies the draw to the XB1 and AW. The worst part of it? All this venting is doing is riling up some other diehard MS fan boy (I'll wait on your trolling responses) or, at best, posting so that a few folks on this forum get to read a long winded rant. It will NOT get to the appropriate channels, and it will NOT get addressed.