Worried about the future of Xbox

I'm not someone who knows much about the technical side of gaming consoles but I have been a huge fan of Xbox from the original, playing halo 1 and the Star Wars Battlefront games non stop and still to this day dedicated to Xbox. Even though I don't know much on the technical side of things I do look up all the latest gaming news every day.

I am really impressed in general with the Xbox One. Taking away the fact I had to replace kinect in the first month, 3 times I had disc reading issues which I now know how to fix if anyone is having issues - if on "instant on" change to "energy saver" and don't let the disc launch when you put it in. Had no troubles since. (Gone digital since Horizon 2) But before knowing I had to send the Xbox One of for repair. Had to buy 2 mics as the first broke. Happy now with Astro A50's. Despite all the problems I still think Xbox has the best community, exclusives and best for an all arounder (entertainment and games. ) Never even had the thought to change...Until now..

Have no problems with money. Would prefer digital copies of games to be a little cheaper but nothing we can do, Happy with yearly gold, got myself 2TB hard drive ready for all the big releases in November.

BUT...I am starting to feel like xbox is slowly dying. Looking up latest news every day it's always about how Playstation4 is selling 2 to 1 to xbox and every month they have sold a lot more and every game on PS4 has better resolution or frame rate. NOW i know it's not all about that and if it was the occasional game being better on PS4 to Xbox I would be okay with it. But it seems like every game can run better on PS4 and it feels like xbox is not capable of what PS4 can do and there is no way of improving it. With all the latest news I have read with these companies making these pc consoles and i am worried we as xbox fans are just going to be at the bottom of the list. I want us to have the best quality games and be important. It feels like game companies especially from pc think of playstation first then think of xbox last just as a meh might as well thing. Want us to be proud of being Xbox fans. I don't feel like that anymore. I have a few times now considered buying a PS4, makes me feel sick thinking of changing after my entire life being on xbox. Just want to one day look up the latest news and see loads of reports saying how xbox is dominating and how it's the best console to buy and play games. The only thing I have seen that has been better is Forza Horizon 2 over Drive Club.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The news doesn't tell you the best games are on Xbox One does it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

There's nothing wrong with owning both consoles, shouldn't make you sick (I hope). Xbox one has sold just as much or more as the 360 in the same time frame....It is not dying, nor is it going away anytime soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just sold my ps4 a week ago to get an x1

All the games for ps4 were delayed. Wasnt worth waiting for. The games i want are coming to x1 sooner so yeah

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

im selling my ps4 toget a x1 dw later on heaps will change from ps4 to x1, plus its not like the x1 will have a huge community instantly it takes years to build in a few years well be close to ps4 numbers or above them again

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Headlines from the same day Sept 29, 2014:

"FIFA 15 on PS4 beats Xbox One by 100,000 sales in UK charts" - Metro

"Xbox One sales push past PS4 in UK after FIFA 15 and price cut sales spike" - MCVUK

So one is selling more units of a new game, and the other has started selling more consoles? Their sources: "According to Chart-Track..." is from the first one. The second one is, "An anonymous retail source..."

The reality is both articles were click bait. More online mags cut and pasted the second story in this case though, Gamespot, N4G etc. There was nothing concrete in the MVCUK article, and yet other sites went ahead and spread the story anyway.

I read an article the other day that more units of a game were shifted on the PS4 than X1. Maybe Destiny? But when I got to the bottom of the article the actual statistics went: PS4, X1, 360, and then PS3 - and the actual percentage of unit sales put Microsoft in first with over half the sales on X1 and 360, and then Sony with the rest. But the headline and the majority of the article was all: "... look how well Sony are doing."

I've seen way too much Sony bias from IGN and Destructoid/Escapist, and altogether too much misinformation from most so called "games news" sites. Games journalism is almost jokingly bad today. I mean how neutral can IGN be when reviewing Mass Effect 3 for example, when Jessica Chobot of IGN is featured in the game and IGN get exclusive features before launch? Meh.

Just exercise consumer choice and go with the product that attracts you. Treat games sites [IGN, Gamespot, CVG, Rock Paper Shotgun et al - as advertisers, not news sites or stellar examples of journalism.]

Try out both consoles before you buy either or both. They're major luxury items/purchases, so you can go ahead and make the store work for your money before you part with it, lol, and be happy with what you have when you buy it, because it should still deliver what you want regardless of what a website says about it afterwards or what a competitor or rival product might be doing after you buy it.

IMO - Nothing about this generation smacks of older generations that saw the demise of consoles like Jaguar, 3DO, or Dreamcast. Third-party support is epic on both Sony and Microsoft platforms, and the PS4 and X1 are selling/have sold exceptionally well. Just make a choice or wait it out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Very well written ^^^^I might add, one of my favorite game sites/news outlet is Polygon. They don't seem to be overtly biased towards any product, and they do a good job of keeping the trolls and fan wars out of the comments.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

true ign seems more in favor of ps lately

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello "INFECTED VODKA"

My gaming experience started when my friend donated his Original Playstation collection to me when he got his Playstation 2 when it launched a long ago.

I chose Xbox over Playstation because it has the better games, that is the reason that I've been with the Xbox brand ever since the Original Xbox was launched  :)

Have a nice day or afternoon or night everyone

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Everything wrong with the xbox has been self inflicted. At the onset the focus on everything but gaming, the price, the drm and the power disadvantage and Kinect put it in a hole. Without a year headstart and rampant hardware malfunctions like the 360 the One doesn't stack up against the PS4 sales wise. It's even getting outsold in America with two free games. None of that makes it a bad console. Play what makes you happy. life's too short for all of the other stuff.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

According to most sale records, the Xbox 360 sold 5.9 million consoles up to the end of September 2006, just 10 months after launch.

According to new charts, the X1 is over 5.8 million, so like for like, the X1 is doing just as well as it's former console. It may have seemed that the Xbox 360 dominated last gen, but it had a year head start. But they end up being about the same. So starting figures mean diddly in the long run

So you really should have no worries. And get both if you can, exclusives for both, and Multi's on the platform your prefer. The X1 is a fine console, and has it's fair share of issues, but like everything, an update normally sorts that, it's about being patient

Quick Question - @Nightwish..... What games on the PS4 were delayed that you only sold it a week ago?? The only one i know off is The Order. And Quantum Break, has been delayed for the X1. The rest are multi-plats, so they will be delayed on all systems....?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 17 Applies to: