With the Olympics looming its time again for a competative gaming thread

Or as it normally turns out me having a bit of a moan about MLG

Anyway MLG are forever saying lines such as "we're the future of gaming" "We're making gaming into a true sport" "we're adding legitemacy to competative gaming"

So a few questions for you guys

Will competative gaming ever be taken seriously ?

Should competative gaming ever be taken seriously ?

Should gaming be more competatively aimed or should it simply be as it is a fun thing to do and something just for fun ?

"If video games made it into the olympics (yeh I know just go with it) what games do you think should be events ?

Is MLG the future of gaming competative or not or is MLG just a bunch of Moaning Little Girls who constantly whine at developers till the developers make the game play the way MLG fans want (not always a way that makes the game more fair) ?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

people who choose to play in MLG are no different from those who lable themselves "hardcore gamers"....they are simply choosing to play with like minded people. All games with a "vs" structure are competitive, whether its against random human opponents online, playing against your friends or just trying to beat the game itself by completeing it...all games are competiive to sense...how much they are depends on the type of game and the person you are

Its pointless attacking them or criticising them such as MLG minded people or competitions, some countries do run competitive pro gamin leagues, they can easily be set up if demand or desire is high enough and you can either take part or not

Its redundant to either attack them or the MLG and similar setups just because you "dont get it"

I've played several Gamebattles matches but stopped it due to the disputes - teams leaving then claiming they won ..etc

I wouldn't really claim it as a sport though.

[quote user="Cokney Charmer"]

people who choose to play in MLG are no different from those who lable themselves "hardcore gamers"....they are simply choosing to play with like minded people. All games with a "vs" structure are competitive, whether its against random human opponents online, playing against your friends or just trying to beat the game itself by completeing it...all games are competiive to sense...how much they are depends on the type of game and the person you are

Its pointless attacking them or criticising them such as MLG minded people or competitions, some countries do run competitive pro gamin leagues, they can easily be set up if demand or desire is high enough and you can either take part or not

Its redundant to either attack them or the MLG and similar setups just because you "dont get it"

[/quote]

its more the MLG attitude I object too than anything (or more correctly the members)

in recent times heres a few run ins I've had

"In a thread titled MLG comes to Red faction finally making the game fair to play"

the guy in there was praising MLG playlist on the previous Red faction game stating how it made the game more fair, people including me in the forum were pointing out how removing items like detonation mines were removing part of the actual strategic elemnt to the game ,as wiring a building and getting the enemy to chase you in, then having team, mates detonate the thing as you escape is damn funny and a good stratergy aswell as luring enemies into walkways over drops, blowing them up and jetpacking away from them. Anyway turns out the guy had never played Red Faction and yet was still blindly defending the MLG decisions.

I ran into him again in the Gears forum where he made a similar thread months later about "Watching the MLG gears play-offs to see how true players play gears of war" again same thing happened pretty much

just before the Reset on the BFBC2 forums

A guy called out the XBF team ,for those not aware the BFBC2 XBF team is a bunch of forum guys who get together for a few games every now and again and only exsist as a group of regular players to join for those who are fed up being on teams that don't talk and want to play teams who know to use some kind of stratergy beyond run head on into the enemy all the time in other words people after teams to play wit for fun that aren't full of total idiots or players who like to sit in a corner with a shotgun for the whole match.

Anyway he called them out, an XBF regular came on and accepted saying "fine we'll vs you on this date" (the main reason was said clan was brow beating new players on the forum telling them not to play a certain way and that they should only play their way)

the clan member then posts "OK join gamebattles, put in a $20 minimum game bet and then we'll do it"

XBF members "why you called us out and most of us don't give a damn about gamebattles we'd never use it why should all of us have to sign up then place a bet with you to play"

Clan member "oh you're too chicken too then "

XBF members "no you called us out, you challanged us we accepted now you're throwing up all this walls and barriers saying we have to join gamebattles and bet with you"

Clan member " so why should we play you then"

XBF " because you challanged us and its for honour and respect "

Clan member "why when we're right already we know we're right we want something more out of it"

XBF "you called us terrible players, you threw down the challanged by saying we wouldn't vs you well here we are accepting now you're trying to back out"

*the forum revamp then happened so it ended here*

Its the attitude of alot of MLG members where by they think MLG rules makes a game more fair and balanced that annoys me, like removing the spiker from halo 3 saying its an unfair weapon and takes no skill but leaving the shotgun and sniper rifle in. I really hate hearing MLG members say how their rules are the only fair way to play when alot of the time MLG rules seem to only rule out weapons people moan about being killed by, instead of weapons that are actually easy to get kills with.

yeah ok

MLG lol.

I remember "Beijing Olympics".

What an oldschool headache that was... a hazard to controllers and gamers alike as most events were won through speed tapping buttons (and you thought modded controllers were for MW 2).

Will be interesting to see if someone tries to cash in on the Olympics in 2012.

Az

[quote user="Azrael008uk"]

Will be interesting to see if someone tries to cash in on the Olympics in 2012.

Az

[/quote]

Sega have got the rights. There will be an official game and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics.