Wireless network connection no longer works on 360 Slim

What Country/State/Province do you live in?    USA, Mississippi
Modem brand & model number: Motorola SB6120
Router brand & model number: D-Link DIR-655
Network Connection Type: Wireless
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? WPA2
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? Internal
Things you have tried: I went through the entire "cannot connect" troubleshooting guide at www.xbox.com/networkhelp.
Is UPnP Enabled? Unknown
Is NAT Type Open? *shrug*
Any Error Codes you encounter: None
What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? Cable
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Comcast
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen? "Cannot connect to your wireless network"

This is pretty crazy... Apparently my 360 can simply no longer connect to my wireless network, at all. It started about 2 or 3 days ago. NOTHING has changed on any of my wireless settings since then. I have a desktop AND a laptop PC that both are connected to the internet via my wireless router and have experienced absolutely no problems in the past few days. The 360 boots up to the Guide menu already disconnected from Xbox Live. If I check my network settings, my wireless network shows up in the list, with 4 full bars of signal strength and a little checkmark in the upper right corner of the selection frame, yet, for some reason, it acts as though the router isn't functioning or something (I'm getting a red X on the connection test between the 360 and the router).

This is completely beyond me. I'd appreciate any help on the matter.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 179 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

What is the rest of the message with the "cannot connect to your wireless network"? Should be a line or two after that.

Also, sign into the router configuration page and in the advanced section of the firmware find the feature called wifi protected setup, turn this feature off.

After WPS is off go into the configure network menu for the console and run the restore to factory defaults option, turn your xbox off for a couple seconds and then boot it back up.

Once it's back on go back into your network settings and attempt to reconnect.

Let us know if this doesn't take care of it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If that ^ doesn't solve it can you turn off WPA and any wireless mac address list/filter on the  655 (just as a test) and try to connect without any wireless security

Sorry this didn't help.

The rest of the message is merely one of the few generic suggestions it gives, in each instance. "Can't connect to your network... would you like to try a different one?" ; "Can't connect to your network... is it possible you have the security key wrong?". The last one is simply "Cannot connect to your network hardware. Check www.xbox.com/networkhelp for help."

I tried making sure WPS was off, then resetting the 360's network adapter to factory defaults, powercycling it (the 360), then trying to connect again. I also tried turning off network security alltogether. It STILL couldn't connect. I even tried connecting to a DIFFERENT unsecured network in my complex, just to see if it would do it. Same exact error... "Cannot connect to network."

I don't understand, unless the built-in wireless just went out or something. But, for whatever reason, it can still scan and detect networks just fine. It simply can't establish a connection with them? And it worked ABSOLUTELY FINE until about 3 days ago. It had to be Tuesday or Wednesday of this past week.

Sorry this didn't help.

Agh. Sorry, I meant to mention that Mac Address Filtering is also not on. I'm pretty familiar with changing basic router settings, and I've checked everything I can think of in there now. As I've said, both my desktop and my laptop still connect to the network just fine.

Also, I apologize for the jumble of text in my previous reply... I couldn't get it to format for some reason, even though it shows it as formatted into paragraphs in the rich-text format display. *shrug*

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you own any 3rd party wireless headsets like Turtle Beach or Tritton brand headsets? Or do you happen to have any 3d tv broadcast devices in your entertainment setup?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not.

Sorry this didn't help.

What about turning off all wireless security though? Does it still fail to connect?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I tried that. It was in my post above, 8P. Not only did I try it, but I tried connecting to ANOTHER wireless, unsecured network. Didn't work. So, that tells me it's something wrong with my 360, and not something wrong with my router.

Everything I can find online says that the internal wireless adapter isn't bad unless it can't detect any networks and/or their current signal strength. Yet, the ONLY thing I can think of is that the thing simply went bad and isn't going to connect to anything wirelessly ever again. I might just hafta send it in to Microsoft (It's the Halo: Reach edition console, so, I'm pretty sure it's still under its 1 year warranty).

So, I'll give this post a couple more days, probably, and then I'll just contact Microsoft support. I appreciate the attempts at helping me solve this.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have a friend who can bring one over, maybe having another console try to connect to your home network to see if they can. If so, then it is probably your Xbox adapter and you should contact Support for a repair. If the other console can't connect, there might be something odd going on with your network.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, unfortunately, I don't really know anyone nearby who has a 360 slim with a built-in wireless adapter, so, that test would be providing me with about the same amount of information as the fact that my 2 computers both connect fine to the network. Plus, as I said, it won't even connect to a different network (with no security). The odds of the same thing being wrong with my network AND my random neighbor's network are astronomical, especially since my console connected to mine just fine one day, then, the next time it was turned on, it simply booted up in offline mode and refused to connect ever since.

At this point, I'm fairly certain my only remaining option is to contact xbox customer support to see if I can get it repaired/replaced. I'm almost certain it's still within its warranty. I appreciate the help, though, 8D.

Sorry this didn't help.