Wireless N Adapter vs. Ethernet cable

To make a long story short, my girlfriend hate visible cables and wires. Time Warner cable and my apartment maintenance also chose to leave me with 1 active cable outlet out of 4 available.

Nice.

So does anyone know if the Wireless N Adapter (with a Wireless N capable router) is just as good as connecting the XBOX with an ethernet cable?

If anyone has a link to an earlier post dicussing this, posting that here is much appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 40 Applies to:

Technically you should be fine with the N adaptor. Keep in mind though that wireless N is the least stable of all connection types and it runs faster then most data will ever travel. Unless your paying for some FiOs or other connection thats truly giving you more the 54 Mbp download speed from your ISP wireless N is unneccisary and could cause more problems then it solves.

The wireless N adaptor will downgrade to wireless G if thats all your router is offering and wireless G is more stable.

Imagine wireless G as a bubble that comes from the router and goes through almost everything. Wireless N comes out more in lines and works best by bouncing off everything trying to find a path. If there is a closed door or if the signal needs to go upstairs from downstairs (or whatever) wireless N isn't going to like it and will give poor siganls.

Best bet would be to just buy some wire tacks and hang your ethernet cable near the ceailing. A nice white cable in most homes blends into the drywall and is less then attention grabbing.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Personally I use a wired connection for gaming. True wireless is nice, but in some areas it is prone to radio interference. Any type of electro-magnetic interfence can mess with electrical equpment even though most of them are shielded. Wireless is more prone due to the fact it uses radio frequency to establish connection.

Sorry this didn't help.

There is nothing wrong with using wireless adapter, but depending on your router you might not have an open NAT leaving you unable to host or connect w/ certain people while using Wi-Fi

i have experienced that problem my self

Sorry this didn't help.

... Um @L3G1T BACON ... Wireless has nothing to do with NAT, NAT is a firewall inside the router and affects all network communication going to the internet

Sorry this didn't help.

Had no problems using the wireless adapter. There is no markable difference in online gameplay for me. I used a wired connection for my xbox for some years and switched later to the wireless adapter. 

Sorry this didn't help.