Wireless N 5 GHz connection issues

I just recently bought the dual band wireless adapter for the xbox.

I was expecting to connect to my Dual Band Router (Linksys E2500) and come to find that i can only connect to the 2.4 GHz band.

I know for a fact that there is no problem with the 5 GHz band as i have computers that use it.

Also, when I set the 2.4 band to Wireless N only, the xbox refused to connect to the network. It gave no error codes at all, it just said it couldn't connect and that was that.

I've also noticed if i'm not connected to my 2.4 ghz network, the red light on the adapter is a solid red..but it doesn't make sense considering the adapter works..

I've gone through every little step physically possible through router configurations and the xbox as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (This is sadly coming from a computer expert...)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 223 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Cheers

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the help beerich. I went to Walmart and bought the Datel Xbox 360 Wireless N Network Adapter and it connects to my Wireless N network just fine.

I'll be returning the broken one. Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

yup you are in the same boat I was on, they are on fleebay as well. Thats where I bought my 1st one from. And that is your problem...

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually got it from a vendor through Newegg called TOMTOP so there is no telling where it came from.

The documentation says it can connect to 2.4 AND 5 Ghz A/N/G. I had good reception from the 2.4 G connection, but the tuning wizard on my Windows Media Center PC showed a VERY low signal. My Xbox slim in the next has a MUCH better signal.

Oh well, I've done all I can do. Even restored my Xbox back to factory settings with no luck. I just put in a RMA request for it.

I may try buying one locally like you said. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would say 9 out of 10 its the adapter, especially if you got it off fleebay from over seas (China Japan that part of the world), also the package will look the same. I had 2 of them same effect could not connect to 5 Ghz N, no matter what I did, router set to open and wap2 same result. The best I can get was 5Ghz A no N, and this is with the new XBOX Slim and Cisco E4200 router all top of line at that time. What fix the problem for me was buying the adapter locally from a store (BestBu), 1st try it connected to 5ghz N, I hope this helps..

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone successfully connected this adapter to a 5Ghz network yet?

I just got one in the mail and it is not seeing my 5Ghz either. I have a hard time believing that my WNDR3700 netgear router is the culprit.  I have other 5Ghz devices on my network that can connect with no problem.

I'll be heading home in about an hour so I can play around with it some more. I too bought this device because it's connect to an Xbox that is an extender to a WMC computer. I figured since it was an Xbox product it would connect with no issues. I would not have bough this item if I had known other people had all of these problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Contra

You would need to speak with Linksys about that, its not an Xbox issue as the WGA600N is stand alone, you'd get the same issue if you hooked up a PC or any device to it, ensure you are using the latest firmware on both devices

Sorry this didn't help.

So my issue is a little different , I'm using a E3000 and a linksys wga600n adaptor ( i know a liitle old but the specs say it will do N @5Ghz.) but sadly all I can get it to do is 802.11A..close but not the 5Ghz N I was shooting for. I tweaked every option on my E3000, and the only way the (older XBOX 360 Elite ..not slim) would dectect is with most everything in default, a mixed A,N network and either 20mhz or 40. odd because the 2.4 side is mixed as well and sending both at 20 should cause some phasing issues.  Oh BTW: the only way the E3000 will do N only is to have an open net , WPA2 personal or Enterprise passphrase...when I tried creating the network manually the option to read these was grayed out...

Anyway , I'm using FIOS 25/25 , E3000 , WGA 600 N , older Elite.

Sorry this didn't help.

yes I can understand that all xboxes run the same code - meaning external N adapters runs the same code as each other external adapters and the internal N adapter runs the same as all internals. But the external and Internal adapters codes are different from each other. No way possible that they are the same when it comes down to connecting to a router. If the internal N adapter connects to a router, then you would expect the external N adapter to connect to the same connection, which it cannot. Different different all the way thru between Microsoft Internal N adapters and External N adapters. If you have 6 devices and all work without a problem, then you introduce another device in the mix (Microsoft Xbox N adapter) and that device fails. You would assume that the last thing you introduced is the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry I didn't explain that well.

What I mean is the External N adapter has its own code, The Internal N adapter has its own code (its different hardware) but each code is the same for all Xboxes what differs with peoples set-ups are their routers and router firmware.

Sorry this didn't help.