Wireless Controller Interference

Hey everyone, I have a bit of a problem on my hands in terms of the wireless controllers and headset communication. Here's the rundown:

Lately, I've been experiencing a lot of static when listening to people over the communicator. Thinking it was the mic, I swapped it out. Still, same issue, sounds like crackling/popping. I swapped controllers, and it turned into a different kind of static, like a high-pitched ring. Then, I plug in the wired controller, NO STATIC/POPPING.

So, I got to thinking, what the hell is causing this issue!? It was then I realized, I recently got a new wireless N router (NETGEAR WNR1000v2), running on 2.4 Ghz frequency, which is situated in my room, appx 8 ft from where I play. So, I unplug the router, connect directly to the modem, and "Voila!" static over voice chat is GONE!

Now, to my understanding, the 360's controllers utilize a proprietary channel that SHOULDN'T interfere/receive interference with other wireless devices, specifically routers, but obviously, this isn't the case. I tried changing the channel on my router to 9 (not the best of channels to choose from), which has minimized some of the noise BUT it's still there at times, and it's worse on some controllers than others.

So, is the frequency/channel this one controller is on so similar to that of the router that it's getting its signals crossed? I haven't experienced any disconnects, just static via voice chat, or even when playing back my own recording in a voice message. I've looked around and haven't seen any similar issues. ANY FIX FOR THIS!?!?!?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 240 Applies to:

Unfortunately the router model you mention is not listed on the Xbox LIVE Network Hardware Compatibility list, so it's possible that this router is known to cause this issue. You might try changing the channels if that helps, but we'd suggest getting a router from the following list: support.xbox.com/.../network-hardware-compatible-xbox-live

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.