Wireless adaptor signal

IS it worth getting a new duel Arial adaptor to solve frequent disconnection?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

it really depends on the distance away from the modem i say go for it the dual arial adaptor does work a lot better than the older single antenna

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I think it is definitely worth getting one.

I have an Xbox 360 set up in the spare room which is upstairs, using the dual antenna wireless adapter I am getting a full signal to my router which is downstairs.

Obviously the distance between your Xbox and your router will play a big part as will the quality of your wireless router. But I would definitely say that the dual antenna is better that the single antenna

Sorry this didn't help.

When I switched from the old white single antenna wireless adapter, to the newer black twin antenna wireless adapter, not only did I get a stronger signal strength and better coverage around my home, I of course also benefited from the Wireless N over G the older G, if your router is N compatible of course.

Sorry this didn't help.

N wireless has a much stronger signal then G. But your router will have to be N as well, other wise you will see little gain. So the upgrade should help quite a bit if your route is N. Not to mention the speed improvements...

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="SinistralClub04"]

IS it worth getting a new duel Arial adaptor to solve frequent disconnection?

[/quote]

That depends on what causes the disconnects in the first place.

So before you go out and buy a new adaptor, try to connect the Xbox with a LAN ethernet cable if possible. Does it still disconnect? Then it's probably an issue with your internet provider.

As for WLAN disconnects, check the following first:

The "old" single antenna adaptor is only able to use the 802.11a/b/g standards. The A standard is very seldom supported by most WLAN routers, so your WLAN currently runs most probably in the 2.4GHz range, that a lot of other wireless devices also use to transmit signals (e.g. DECT cordless phones, babyphones, garage door openers and the likes. Even Microwaves can disturb the WLAN signal). These devices mustn't necessarily be in your apartment. If you live in a house with multiple adjacent apartments, the cordless devices of your neighbour might also interfere with your WLAN.

Also your neighbours might have a WLAN that broadcasts on the same or a nearby channel than yours. So first try to set your router to a different channel (I recommend trying channels 1, 6 and 11, and depending on your country, even channel 13).

Switching to the black dual antenna adapter will ONLY improve the situation, if your disconnects are caused by interference from other devices in the 2.4GHz band, AND your router is able to broadcast 802.11 N wireless on the 5GHz band.

So if you were able to improve the disconnects by turning off 2.4GHz wireless interference from cordless phones and the likes, ONLY THEN the black dual antenna adapter will improve anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, Sinistral! It sounds like you're experiencing disconnections -- sorry to hear it! Before you think about getting a new router, it might help to get an idea of what's causing the disconnections in the first place.

To get started, let's have you take a look at this sticky and post your replies to the questions in bold at the bottom of the page: forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx. This should help us get the troubleshooting process rolling.

Thanks in advance, Sinistral! Standing by for your response. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Like the others have said it could be the distance between your router and your Xbox. But yes, I recommend getting the Dual Ariel N Router as it has a better connection in general thanks to the 2 ariels.

But also like the others said, you will have to make sure your router is N otherwise you will still disconnect a lot.

Sorry this didn't help.

It might be, it might not be.    When it comes to frequent disconnections solving it with what you already have might be a better solution for you, as Mister Darcy suggested.     After all, it's possible a bigger better faster wireless something or another might not even solve anything if you can't get what you have working well.    Often when it comes to wireless,  nothing obvious works to fix the problems.   So  if it's possible (if there is a way to run a permanent or semi-permanent Ethernet cable) a wired connection might be the most stable easiest fastest least expensive solution for you instead, if you can't get what you have functioning well.  

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="SFAL"]

...So  if it's possible (if there is a way to run a permanent or semi-permanent Ethernet cable) a wired connection might be the most stable easiest fastest least expensive solution for you ....

[/quote]

And to add to that: If you find that a wired solution works better for you, but running a permanent cable through your home is not an option, you could try a pair of Ethernet over Powerline plugs, that will transmit your network via your home's electrical power cables.

There are several makers for these plugs. One of them for example is Devolo.

Sorry this didn't help.

@ArminatorX    When it comes to wireless, well.   Low-end wireless equipment has worked fanatically to not at all,  and  mid-range stuff connect great to some things and semi-sort-of  to not-at-all with other things connecting properly, and high-end isn't always.      Often it revolves around the channels and type of nearby equipment, and/or the security settings on the WAP and the client(s).    There have been devices that connect at first but simply refuse to take the correct wireless security key as the correct one and don't actually link.    Laptops often seem to be the best, cell phones and tablets the worst -- depending on who makes the actual hardware on both sides.    Of course we could say the same about bluetooth and any number of other things.          Other times they work like a charm, and cost or reputation doesn't always mean something will work.

So when it comes to wireless and disconnections and stalls and slowdowns and links flapping and things that ,   I  have ended up that for many of these devices, I just get long cat 5e cables and run them along the baseboard or ceiling or wall rather than put up with wireless.

Sorry this didn't help.