Wired Network Connection failure

The xbox is hard wired to my router and I use it mainly to stream from video server. I have been doing this for over a year. Very recently after the last update my Xbox 360 will not make a network connection. When I go to the Network systems tab and choose the wired connection option, I get the message to plug in a network cable, so I cant even re-set the network settings. I checked that cable is snug several times and also tried plugging that cable into my laptop. The laptop connects immediately and I can get internet through it. So I believe the cable, router and modem are fine. Any ideas other than service call?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 135 Applies to:

Well in that case, a service call is your only option, as your Ethernet port seems to be defective.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I would suggest running the Initial Setup again, or to go into the Network Settings > Configure Network > Additional Settings > Restore to Factory Defaults

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems like your Ethernet port is broken/defective.

try getting another one

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like I had a voltage spike come in over the phone line. My router was acting funky too. Replaced that and all my devices work fine except this Xbox 360. No recognition of network cable (2 different ones) and no lights on ethernet port. Wireless adapter fails too. Tried setup again but I still cant get to any of the network settings since it doesnt know there is a cable connected. So the ethernet port must have got toasted. Anyone know what this repair will cost?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="CornerPureEagle"]

Seems like your Ethernet port is broken/defective.

try getting another one

[/quote]

Since the ethernet port is soldered on the consoles mainboard, you can't simply get another one. The whole console needs to be sent to Microsoft for repair.

[quote user="HucleberryHound"]

So the ethernet port must have got toasted. Anyone know what this repair will cost?

[/quote]

I don't have the exact prices remembered, but I think it's something between $90 and $120 or something like that for an out-of-warranty repair. But I could be wrong.

Also keep in mind, that if you start the repair request online on the Xbox.com website here, you should not only see how much it will cost, but also save a bit money, as repair requests created through the phone hotline cost a bit more.

Sorry this didn't help.