Wired Ethernet port suddenly doesn't work

Hey Everyone,

I've had my xbox 360 for years, connected to a wired ethernet connection.  I recently went wireless for 2 months and have moved it back to where a wired connection is, but now that the xbox is plugged into a hard wire I only get "To use a wired internet connection, make sure an ethernet cable is connected to both your console and your router or modem."

I know this port works because if I connect my laptop on the same wire, on the same port with my wireless disabled, the laptop will pull a DHCP address and connect to the internet.

when the xbox is plugged into the wire, the router light is also dead as if there is nothing plugged in.

Is there a way to reset / debug the Ethernet port on the old (white) xbox 360?

Thanks,

-HaP

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Let me make sure i understand this:  you have an ethernet port somewhere that you have connected your laptop to and that connection works, but if you connect the Xbox to the same port, nothing works.  That sounds like a problem with the ethernet port on the xbox itself.  In which case it is time for a $100 repair.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!  Apparently timed perfectly with an expired warranty!  Sent an email to them, doubt I will get much satisfaction.  MAYBE TIME TO BUYA PLAYSTATION 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are out of your initial warranty, you can always send it in for a paid repair. You can contact phone support (support.xbox.com/.../contact-us.aspx) for more information on repairs.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello EliT3 x MaRiN3 - The use of un-authorized parts is simply not allowed. Doing so will make any chances of future repairs of your XBOX 360 to become null and void since this would require you to open your XBOX 360.

Sorry this didn't help.

same thing happened to me... if i use the wireless adapter do you think it will connect to the internet

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there- It may, but we would suggest trying a few things first:

1. Restarting your Network Hardware. If the router or other network device is not functioning correctly, it may show as an unconnected ethernet cable on your console.
  2. Try a new ethernet cable. If the cable itself has failed, it will show as nothing connected to the port.
  3. Try a wireless adapter. If the console is able to connect via a wireless adapter at this point, then 

If the above steps do not resolve your issue, we would recommend a repair of your console, which you can set up using our Xbox Online Service Center. If you have any questions about the repair process, check out: http://support.xbox.com/xbox-360/troubleshoot/repair/repair-process

Sorry this didn't help.

There is nothing wrong with the Ethernet cord or the router that i an using so it has to be something going on with my xbox's ethernet port so i tried a wireless adapter and it signed me on so if anybody else is having the same problem i suggest getting a wireless adapter for the xbox

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys, as it looks like all the necessary troubleshooting information is in this thread, I'd just like to remind you to please rate your forums experience. :-)

Sorry this didn't help.