Wired Connection Doesn't Work

My thanks in advance to all who reply.

I cannot connect to Xbox Live. Everything worked fine until a few days ago. I believe I have tried all the obvious solutions.

The main thing is that when I go to Test Connection, the console says "Wired / Wireless." I click "Wired." Now, the console is plugged into the router the same way it was a few days ago, when it was working. Only now, the console tells me it isn't plugged into anything.

The router and the cable have been tested. I successfully connected my netbook to the internet on the same cable and the same router. In fact, all the wireless equipment in my home works just fine.

I contacted Xbox live support, and they told me to send it in for repairs. I would REALLY prefer not to do that. Last time it was gone over two months. I would rather just buy a wireless card for the Xbox first.

Reading the forums, I noticed that answers to the following questions would help the community respond to my problem.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? North Carolina, United States
Modem brand & model number:
Belkin N300
Router brand & model number:
**** TM602G (I think. It was given by my ISP. This is what the modem says on the side.)
Network Connection Type:
Wired
Things you have tried: Tested cable and router. Shut down and restarted Xbox, router, and modem.
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes
Is NAT Type Open? Unknown. Sorry.
Any Error Codes you encounter: No codes. It just says "To use a wired Internet connection, make sure an Ethernet cable is connected..." The cable is connected, I promise.
What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? Cable
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Time Warner Cable
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen? "To use a wired Internet connection, make sure an Ethernet cable is connected to both your console and your router or modem."

I am concerned that either (1) the ethernet port in the xbox must have broken or (2) some software change in my admittedly tempermental router has blocked access for some reason. Sadly, I cannot seem to figure out what could have gone wrong. I didn't drop my xbox or anything. There was a power outage about the time of this problem starting, but the Xbox wasn't on at the time, and it strikes me as unlikely that a power surge could have travelled along an ethernet cable to damage the Xbox.

As an aside, do you think connecting wirelessly would fix the problem? As I mentioned, I would rather buy a wireless card than wait two months plus have to pay for repairs. I mostly use Xbox Live for HuluPlus--is the wireless fast enough to support video like that?

Again, thanks to all who reply. I really appreciate the help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 264 Applies to:

"There was a power outage about the time of this problem starting, but the Xbox wasn't on at the time, and it strikes me as unlikely that a power surge could have travelled along an ethernet cable to damage the Xbox."

Power surges can easily travel thru ethernet cables.  And yes, you could try the wireless idea.  And I bet you 99% chane that your ethernet port is blowed.  See if you can borrow a friend's console and connect it to the same ethernet cord that yours uses.  If his connects and yours does not using the same cord, then your port is blowed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello JayMangler - You may want to try and just reset the settings on the XBOX 360 as well as the network settings and see if that might help as well. If it doesn't try what RED SHIT1 said. If the Ethernet port is the culprit and you can try using wireless or need the Ethernet port to work you'll need to get your console repaired by Microsoft, if it's in warranty it will be free, if not it will cost $99. Hope that helps you out in your search.

Sorry this didn't help.

This same thing happened to be today and i have been trying all the same things you have been doing. Internet works fine in the house and on the computer but the xbox has a mind of its own right now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Belkin N600 here.. same issues same attempts at fixing. Think Belkin and Microsoft dont get along? Going to try Hassassin's Fix.. maybe ill have luck

Sorry this didn't help.

Exact same issue and tried the same resolutions.  The Xbox is not even recognizing the ethernet cable, which I have tested on my laptop and I know works.  I live in Michigan and we had a big storm a couple days ago but didn't experience any power outages.  Starting to worry that the ethernet port died.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have THE SAME EXACT problem! I've tried everything you tried to, and it still doesn't work. However, I did not call Xbox Support because I don't want to waste my time just to hear them say send it in for repair. Btw, I live in North Carolina as well, and there was a big storm that came earlier in the week and Xbox Live hasn't worked since.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello guys that are experiencing this problem, you will have to send your consoles in for repair. If you had a storm in your area and it caused power outages, this could have caused your XBOX 360's Ethernet port to fry and it will have to be repaired, there's really no way around that unless you guys want to purchase either a wireless XBOX 360 adapter or use the XBOX 360 Slim's internal wireless.

Sorry this didn't help.