Wired Connection - D-LINK D615 - constantly dropping connection

Hello everyone,

I have a wired connection from my XBOX 360 to a D-LINK DIR-615 router running firmware version 5.00NA (latest). I have forwarded all the necessary ports (21, 53, 80, 88, 1863, 3074 both UDP and TCP),  but it keeps dropping connection to XBOX LIVE every10-15 minutes, no matter what game I am playing. The situation is even worst when there are other devices connected to the Internet. Every time I run a network test everything seems to be just fine, but the problem is still there. I have read many posts in different forums but I could not solve my problem so far. Can somebody please help me?

Just let me know what other information you need to dig deeper into this issue.

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 25 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Although I can't pinpoint the problem, but the D615 is quite infamous across the web for it's instability, I'm using it too actually, but have not experience big problems because I do not have a lot of devices using the internet, my suggestion is try to hook up your 360 straight with your modem if you can, and see if the connection is stable.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Also check the connection of the modem and router, does other devices (wired or wireless) also experiencing the loss of connection problem? or just your 360?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You should not need to forward any ports on that router in fact doing that may actually cause a problem (a clash) with UPnP. Just use UPnP only , no forwarding , no DMZ and your Xbox ip address on auto. I would remove those forwarded ports and restart the router

Sorry this didn't help.

When connecting my 360 directly to the modem there are no problem whatsoever. I think there might be a way to configure the router correctly since this does not happen when playing online games from my computer. Although the 360 and/or LIVE may be more sensitive, I assume there may be a way to set up my router in a way that the console work just as any other online game running from my laptop (or maybe I must swith routers, but that is exactly what I need to find out because I wouldn't want to waste about $100 buying a better router when maybe this one could work).

By the way, there are only 2 laptops connecting to the Internet through this router besides the 360, so there is not too much traffic either to say that the router may get overflowed.

Any suggestions on how to set up the D-615?

Sorry this didn't help.

I will try what you suggested Shad0wmanUK and will let you know how it goes in a couple of minutes...

Sorry this didn't help.

Sadly the same thing happens when setting up the router that way Shad0wmanUK... any other suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has this always happened or just started, can you try connecting direct to the modem to see if it still happens (restart the modem when its connected to the Xbox for the first time), that will give you an idea whether its your ISP connection or the router

Also what is the make of modem?

(Note: When you swap the modem back to the router after this, again you will need to restart the modem again once connected to the router)

Sorry this didn't help.

This has always happened but there are no problems when connecting the xbox directly to the modem. It is a D-LINK D-615 running firmware 5.00NA (more information on previous posts on this same thread).

I think this modem is just a piece of crap. Would anyone suggest one that is good enough and also not expensive? Apparently this will be the only way to get over these connection issues....

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the make/model of modem that the Dlink connects to though? FWIW the 615 is certified for Xbox live with that firmware it ticks all of the Xbox live tests Microsoft carried out so it should work very well.

So does it disconnect even when your at the dashboard, with no other users on the network? Have you tried saving the router configuration (is an option on the menu) and then running a factory reset on the router and just leaving it like that with no other configuration to see if that solves the issue (but ensuring UPnP is on)

If it were me I'd try everything possible before shelling out more £££ on a new router, also there is a later version of firmware available I would certainly try that as well:- http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pid=DIR-615&rev=DIR-615_revE

Sorry this didn't help.

It is a Motorola SB1502 cable modem. I haven't tried just idling at the dashboard to be honest with you... but the connection drops even when playing on my own locally (not using multiplayer options over the internet). It just says "disconnected from XBOX LIVE" while I am playing. Then I reconnect and after a few minutes the same thing happens.

I just tried a factory reset on my router and installed the latest firmware (thanks for the link and all the suggestions so far Shad0wmanUK) but still no luck... Can you think of something else I may try?

Sorry this didn't help.