Wired connection: Cannot connect to xBox Live

This has been an ongoing beat head on table problem. My system will be fine for days, and then suddenly I can't get on to xBox Live for love, money or offers of live chickens to the technology gods. I just signed up for Netflix about a month ago, so as you can imagine, the fact that I can't get on to xBox Live is annoying.

I have a wired connection. The connection works fine up to the Internet portion and then fails at the xBox Live test.

Note that my DNS is NOT the router. I have tried wiping the settings, and it makes no difference, so I put them back to my ISP's DNS. I've tried resetting the router, the modem, the xBox, the Network settings, UPnP is on, Gaming Mode is on. Heck, I even tried adding the eBox to my DMZ. No dice.

The fact that it's so erratic is frustrating. Any help someone can provide would be fab-u-lous.

The xBox is an old one (probably one of the first generation ones) which went back for one round with the Microsoft RROD Hospital already.

My profile(s) are on xBox Memory Cards (not the hard drive). I changed the hard drive, but that was over six months ago. I did have to change my Hotmail password about six weeks ago, but I've been able to get on xBox Live since with no problems, so that's not it.

Any help you can provide is appreciated. I'll probably feel totally stupid when you tell me how to fix it, but I'm at a loss.

=Betty=

==============================

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Manitoba (Canada)
Modem brand & model number: ActionTec GT701D (Note: Onboard router is software-disabled)
Router brand & model number: DLink DI-624 Rev C

Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes
Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT? No NAT error indicated
Any Error Codes you encounter: No code, it just says "Live Connection Error" and tells me to restart the test
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? MTS Allstream

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)
W: 0000-0000
X:  8000-0019
Y:  0000-0000
Z: 0000-0000
ID:  0006-0000
L:  8015-1000
Q:  8007-0435
T:  Wired
D: 142.161.130.155/142.161.2.55
S:  (does not appear)
C: (Does not appear)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Incidentally, SpeedTest says I've got 6.52 down and 0.4 up, with a 49 ms ping.

This is with two wireless laptops and a wired desktop, so there's plenty of bandwidth there for it to fit. Although my ping times are atrocious, there's not a lot I can do with that.

Disconnecting everything else from the network doesn't help, I tried that already.

I can't plug it straight into the modem, I disabled the modem's router, so it can't see the internet. Tried that too.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there Omni!
Is your DI-624 Rev C running with a certified router firmware. Version 2.76 for example is known for causing issues with Xbox LIVE.
You can download a certified version of firmware here! 

Post back and let us know if this worked as a solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

Indeed, some versions of 624 firmware don't work well with live but the ones linked to above work very well

Also is the Actiontec bridged or just have some options disabled as there's a big difference. If you are using a Dlink behind the Actiontec the Actiontec should be bridged.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know if the Actiontec is bridged. When I disabled the onboard router, it seems to have destroyed any ability to log into it to check settings. I've talked about it with tech support and their solution is to replace the modem, since they don't know what's wrong with it. I suspect it *might* be bridged, however, as I'm using the dLink to log in over PPPOE and it seems happy that way.

The router firmware is something that never even occurred to me might be a problem. Initial results suggest that rolling the firmware back from 2.76 to 2.70 seems to have solved the problem; I'll run it for a few days and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the awesome tip, taidara!

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Hope it stays that way. All credit goes to Shad0wmanUK and his useful troubelshooting guides on http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/ 

Sorry this didn't help.

:o) happy days!

Sorry this didn't help.

*Sings along* Oh happy days! ;)

Sorry this didn't help.