Windows 8 Phone

Is anyone else happy about the Windows Phone 8 info release? I kind of am...

-

Post your thoughts below!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm stoked. A mobile OS that shares the same code as a full desktop OS? That's a MAJOR development. WP8 supporting DirectX? GIGANTIC.

I'm really glad my contract is up in February. I'll be grabbing a new WP8 handset the moment I can.

I'm really glad to see support for dual and quad processors and micro sd cards. Things that WP7 has been missing. My contract is up but I'm holding off until WP8.

OMG yes, will the update be for all devices? i have an Optimus 7 (1st gen).

Alessio

No Not all handsets will be upgrading to WP8 OS only the lumia 900 will get the full upgrade. After that only new handsets will have the OS

Maybe in a few years. Depends on apps and infrastructure. I make extensive use of Air Video. I'd have to find a decent replacement. I'm an iOS kind of person, but that could change if the app situation improves. I'll probably go Surface first, especially if they get AT&T 3G support.

I will be moving from iPhone to Windows phone either this or next year. Quality is always better than quantity and since most of Win8 apps can work on WinRT (aka WM8) providing the specs are met, wealth of apps won't be an issue.  

[quote user="Viral Cyrix"]

No Not all handsets will be upgrading to WP8 OS only the lumia 900 will get the full upgrade. After that only new handsets will have the OS

[/quote]

Not even that. No Win7 phone getting the Win8 upgrade. They don't meet the hardware requirement

Thought the lumia 900 did. Thats what i was told by the guy from virgin any way

Windows Phone 7 was based on the old WinCE kernel. Win8 phone is based on WinNT kernel, the same kernel used in Desktops. It's a massive change. A whole new era of smart phones to put it mildly. No WM7 phones have meet the hardware spec or the new standards. Enabling Win8 on existing phones will cripple the new Win8 phones.