windows 8 360 ?

Just heard about the rumours.

For those that havent rumour has it windows 8 will be able to play xbox 360 games.

Looks like I was wrong to say cross platform windows - 360 play was dead as it might soon be that people can buy 360 games and play them on PC or 360.

So the question is.

Do you want this ?

Is it good or bad news for gaming to have more PC gamers able to play 360 gamers ?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think Its a great Idea, However gaming on the PC as always will move on Hardware wise leaving me the console gamer behind. I don't mind though as I don't play demanding games on my PC, that's what my consoles are for, PC Gamers V 360 Gamers? Sounds like It could get Interesting and fun!!

Wont happen.

The PC wont be able to play the game naively because 360 games require calls from a very specific set of hardware.

Emulation would also be very problematic as you'd be running a program which thinks it is 360 hardware, which in turn has to run the 360's operating system. Even last gen console haven't been emulated to what I'd call a decent level.

What is likely is that Live will be integrated into Windows 8 in the same way as it has been into their smart-phones.

saw this over twitter last night....doesnt bother me, the 360 is essentially a PC in a box, so..if they want to market such games on a PC platform let them...I will still be using my console when the next operating system comes out. MS have tried to get xbox and PC gamers playing together, if I remember..didnt go down to well..joypad vs keyboard and mouse

[quote user="Cokney Charmer"]

saw this over twitter last night....doesnt bother me, the 360 is essentially a PC in a box, so..if they want to market such games on a PC platform let them...I will still be using my console when the next operating system comes out. MS have tried to get xbox and PC gamers playing together, if I remember..didnt go down to well..joypad vs keyboard and mouse

[/quote]

difference being this time though both will play the same disc, no PC and 360 discs only 360 discs. Also shadowrun is still going so 1/3 PC vs live games still going isn't bad considering 1 of the others was Lost Planet Colony edition (not 2 or standard version 1 the wierd extra expansion version they released)

There are an uncountable amount of variations of PC hardware out there, whereas the hardware in the 360 is identical. If they are going to make a 360 game that can deal with all the variations of PC hardware, then just make a PC game.

[quote user="voteDC"]

There are an uncountable amount of variations of PC hardware out there, whereas the hardware in the 360 is identical. If they are going to make a 360 game that can deal with all the variations of PC hardware, then just make a PC game.

[/quote]

i don;t know the details by my guess is as most systems have enough memory to run 360 games maybe it will be something in the software to tell the hardware its a 360 not a PC somehow.

It's not just a matter of memory. It's the processor, the graphics card etc.

Each processor for example deals with calls in a different way, that's not even bringing in dual, triple and quad-core processors.

Then you have the graphics cards. You have ATI, Nvidia and Intel (spits on floor) chips-sets to take into account. Each respond in different ways.

360 games require a set group of components. Despite the revisions made, the 360's hardware is technically  the same today as it was when it launched.

This is Ms they basically made modern computing so who knows.

As someone briefly touched on joypad vs mouse/keyboard setup would also be a big problem. Average FPS/RTS gamers on the pc would wipe the floor with "pro" 360 gamers as they just have more pinpoint accuracy and faster aiming, they also have alot more keys for hotkeying groups of soldiers etc in RTS.

People have disagreed with this over the years and you will usually find they have never at any point been a PC gamer. Anyone who has been, or does both knows that Keyboard and mouse reign supreme. The only instances where i would prefer a joypad would when playing sports or driving games.

It won't happen. Imagine all the console sales MS would lose. Further more, imagine the modding.