Win 7 Media Center and Xbox 360 as a media extender problem

Hi, I have a strange problem that I hope someone may be able to help me out with. I can connect my PC to my Xbox and use it as a media extender when both the PCM and xbox are connected to my router over wifi, but the bandwidth is poor. So, I'm trying to connect my PC to the router via cat5 and then connect to the Xbox via the router over wifi (hopeing this will improve bandwidth as my PCM wifi card is old..), but when I do this the PC can't find the Xbox. When I check the router both the of and xbox are definitely on the same subnet, yet they still will not connect. If I change the pc back to wifi it all starts working again. Any ideas what might be causing this? There has been one suggestion that the DRM on the pc might use the wifi MAC address as verification and when I switch to cat5 the 'different' MAC address might be causing a DRM conflict preventing me from connecting to the Xbox. But I would have thought this should not prevent connection but only playback of DRM files. Any ideas appreciated : ) Mike

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hey Cheetah, Just Wondering if you have a Genuine Copy of windows? . Because i had the same problem. It was just the case of my copy of windows not being genuine.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Go to this webpage: support.xbox.com/.../windows-media-center-on-xbox-360-windows-7

and follow the steps, the same thing happened to me at one point and all i had to do was follow the steps, and also turn on media sharing on my laptop.

ii dont know if this will help you but give it a try and see what happens.

also if you tried turning off your router/modem then turning it back on and doing everything.

these are just suggestions but i hope one of them works :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep definatly have a look at support.xbox.com/.../windows-media-center-on-xbox-360-windows-7 also for your low bandwidth problem have you considered using a powerline wall plug which carries ethernet internet through your house powerlines. just a suggestion. hope you fix it

Sorry this didn't help.