Will Xbox One's online DRM return?

I posted this in the Xbox One Discussion Thread but I personally thought it was an interesting read and sounds to me that it's not impossible that we might see it in some way or form in the future?

http://www.oxm.co.uk/61195/will-xbox-ones-online-drm-return-i-dont-see-that-ever-happening-with-content-youre-buying-today/

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The possibility of the previous restrictions and policies returning is one of two factors that is keeping me from committing to the X1.  If MS tried this once and circumvented it by software updates, then they can easily try again and implement such things with later software updates.

I would almost guarantee that it returns in some form, probably not for a few years though.

[quote user="Shaggy2000"]

I would almost guarantee that it returns in some form, probably not for a few years though.

[/quote]

Yep, I've been saying more or less the same for a while now and I won't say why because I've explained it enough on these forums over the last few months but I personally would welcome it :)

Right now, it is not likely, but in the future, sure.

When MS introduced their original policies, I was irritated because it felt like they were forcing us.  In retrospect, it would have been more fluid had they slowly filtered information about their DRM plans by suggesting it definitely will be a thing of the future and admit ti implementing those features throughout the years.

I do think we will see it again once digital downloads take off and more and more games go online only. That may allow for the xbox one (or its offspring) to move back to the digital box that Microsoft first wanted without it being a huge shock to everyone.

Personally no, i don't think it will return this generation.

-

Just say, a year or two down the line the issue a statement, they are bringing back the original DRM Policy, you will have a lot of people, with machines that after their mandatory disc update, will not play games after a set period of time. Thus making their consoles unplayable, espescially those without or extremely bad internet issues. (And please don't bring up, the everyone has internet quote, we all know Microsoft themselves says 40% of their xbox 360 sales never logged in ever or had an internet connectiom)

-

So if they have the same ratio that they have today for their new system, then i believe that would open them up to lawsuits, as they would make a system, that was originally purchased to play games, now no longer work the way the console was intended.

-

What they could do is have an opt in system though, for people who want to have the original DRM policy,  and all the benefits and cons that come with a digital system. That would only seem to be fair to me.

-

On a personal note, i believe physical games and digital should be kept individual provinces of their own, as they have different copyright laws attached to them, this is what the whole issue was in the first place. Microsoft trying to treat physical like digital, and removing your rights to do what you want with physical as given to you under law. While some people could stand that situation, the majority of savvy consumers obviously spoke louder protecting their rights as consumers, and microsoft listened.

No way MS goes back to the way it was. Millions of people would never buy a MS console again if that happened.

It's inevitable and Sony will also implement DRM in a similar way to the way Microsoft intended to at some point. Sony wanted to do this last generation (PS3) when none other than Phil Harrison was batting for them.

Davee Cee

Give us game discounts and sales like steam and family sharing back and that would be just fine. I am a firm user of gamefly and would miss this service but if family share worked for full games I could say goodbye to GF. Sadly MS didn't promote the upside of their DRM policies at all. I'm guessing this is some how Matrick's fault but who knows. Discs work fine for now. To those sitting on the fence about X1 because of the possible return of DRM don't sweat it they will make this all work for everyone. It's not a trap!

As long as Sony see's a potential advantage in not implementing such policies, they will not.  And as long a real advantage does exist for not having such policies, then MS may be held at bay by Sony's willingness to take advantage of that.