Will uninstalling and installing games on XB1 break your hard drive?

Will uninstalling and installing games on XB1 break your hard drive?  I am running out of space and need to know from someone at Microsoft if uninstalling and installing games will break your hard drive or have it wear down faster?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Hi Rythmneo.. I can't see any reason that uninstalling and installing games on the Xbox One should wear down your harddrive abnormallt fast, but if you want som extra peace of mind on the subject I reccomend getting an external USB 3.0 drive.. a 2Tb drive is not expensive... when connecting it to the xb one the first you will be prompted to format it for media or games.. choose to format it for games and when prompted to you can select to have all new games intalled to the exterlal drive.. that way you can lighten the workload on yhe internal drive.. (all system updates will be installed to the internal drive thogh)

Keep in mind that formating the drive completly wipes it, so don' use a dtive that you allready have content on that which ypu want or need to keep..

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I couldn't find a link to back this up but I believe the defrag is scheduled to run in background every once in a while on xbox so un-installing and installing games should make no difference than a normal PC. Hard drives these days don't wear out as such so it shouldn't be a problem. I do agree with Tronder above in that it's not a bad idea to get a second drive for more storage. It does need to be USB 3.0 as he said though.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.