Will the Xbox One have Media Center?

Question: Will the Xbox One have Media Center?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Answer: (what i've heard) No...i've been reading they wont support streaming over from pc to console anymore without introducing some paywall app inbetween.  This is the reason why my x1 will be used for games whilst the ps4 will be used for media entertainment.

Please provide the link of  this paywall app for media extender. You can always keep a 360 for this function.

It might have this feature in the future, who knows?? Don't we have like three or four threads with the same title as this one in the first couple of pages here??

Well, I don't know about the pay wall bit, but I do know it's been confirmed Xbox One will not be a native Media Center extender, and here's the link for that:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

yeah weird news.... I'm starting to wonder if media center will not be merged with Xbox music, movie etc down the line.....

My guess, they are going to see how many people pay for the different media services they offer. If it's an abysmal number I am sure they will implement something. If they are making money off of them, I wouldn't hold your breath.

-

Bottom line, MS will only change if something backfires on them, ex...all their initial announcement policies.

the paywall is for xbox music and its not to stream from your pc to x1 its to upload your media to the cloud then stream from that.

-

people have assumed this is the only way to get media on your x1.

I thought you'd be able to stream videos and music just like you can now with the 360 without Media Centre Extender.

From Major Nelson Q & A in Boston a few days back

"Can we play our own media files on the One via local network and external drives just as we currently can on the 360? Background playback?

Major: The engineers of Xbox One want the system to be a total media device, so while he can't confirm anything, it seems there will be some solution for personal media."

-

Not a real clear answer

[quote user="mgzin66"]

From Major Nelson Q & A in Boston a few days back

"Can we play our own media files on the One via local network and external drives just as we currently can on the 360? Background playback?

Major: The engineers of Xbox One want the system to be a total media device, so while he can't confirm anything, it seems there will be some solution for personal media."

-

Not a real clear answer

[/quote]

Wow I'd be shocked if it doesn't when they add external storage support, I was planning on eventually getting an external HDD to put my films and music on!