Will digital downloads be cheaper? They should be!

It would give us a reason to download directly rather then buy hard copies, it would cut out shipping costs, casing, discs, paper, manual..... if it is not any cheap we should get at least an explanation.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

No, they will not be cheaper.

it wont be because of greedy corporations that never offer to split the savings with the end consumer that paved the way for them to become what they became today.  welcome to profiteering 101...they save money, they keep money, they try to charge more through new microtransaction/sub models of gameplay whilst still charging you a high $60 upfront fee.

in the short term no... they will be the same.. will we see DL only sales... YES... in a few years will DL versions be cheaper.. YES... and please do not give me that but the 360 DL versions are more expensive than the used copies...  lets not go there again OK?

I know with all the push for digital only I would think that the price would be less to give people an incentive to purchase digitally.  Digital copies definitely cost less then physical.  So why not pass a percentage of that savings off to the customer.  That would be a win win and would help get people on board with digital only.

we actually dont know yet, but odds are they will be the same in the short term. if they want it too catch on they will have to lower the price in th elong term.

-

one problem is consumers like me. id probably go digital even if its $5 more. i just love the convenience of not swapping discs and i never sell games.

No they won't or shops won't stock their disk copies as most would purchase digital leaving them bankrupt

If they dont keep up they'll go bankrupt anyways. Here in the UK blockbusters and HMV both went bankrupt for not keeping up.

--

As for OT yes, in time they should slowly decrease in price. 

I don't think GAME will last much longer I can't see people queuing up at a midnight release in the cold for something like COD when they could purchase it digital and play it straight away while it's downloading

Game did, for a while then were saved, I don't see Gamestop lasting either, digital will replace it, maybe not now, but by the end of the generation.

we probably had a better chance of them eventually getting cheaper if MS stuck with their Steam-like model.  BUT....we'll never know now.