Why Timesplitters 4 Has not seen the Light of Day

Why Timesplitters 4 Never Saw The Light Of Day

Launching with the Playstation 2, Timesplitters was a ridiculous yet awesome FPS experience. Creating maps was a blast, the selection of characters was hilarious (I preferred Gingerbread Man), and it took you to a large variety of environments and periods in time. Unfortunately, it never made it to the current generation of consoles, where its multiplayer-friendly gameplay would thrive online. In an interview with Play magazine, members of Free Radical Design explain why it never happened.

"TimeSplitters: Future Perfect didn't perform as well as expected in the shops," said Timesplitters lead artist Tristan Reidford. "Although fun to make, without stellar sales figures a further TimeSplitters game was going to be a tough one to sell to publishers. It's a hard game to summarize in an easy sentence like 'car modding racing game' or 'third-person stealth game'."

Lead animator James Cunliffe elaborated, saying "I think we just felt that the franchise was well received but we had other things we wanted to try before going back to it. We weren't in any particular hurry to rush into TimeSplitters 4."

Personally, I’d love to see the improbable Timesplitters 4 happen at some point. It would be a great change of pace from the onslaught of modern military shooters currently on the market.

Source: Now Gamer

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

The FPS genre really does need a breath of fresh air because CoD and the Halo franchises have had their own way for far too long. They're not bad games, but they can afford to rest on their laurels because of the lack of quality competition - lets hope BF3 steals CoDs thunder this year.

Breakthroughs can be made though and Borderlands is a prime example of this. Timesplitters 4 would go down a storm too as its different and if the mp was half as good as TS2 it wouldn't be a one month wonder, then condemned to the graveyard of not-quite-good-enough FPS's.

I just hope Rage proves to be a success otherwise I'll probably end up losing faith in the FPS genre once and for all. Unfortunately, I expect it to fail because it doesn't have a 'proper' online experience - CTF, TDM, FFA etc.

you do know after Crysis 2 Crytek were impressed enough to release Crytek UK from its "you will now work on this game" system and give them freedom to work on what game/s they want too now as Crytek also boyght all the IP and stuff for TS4 theres a fair bet that Crytek UK's new secret project is TS4. Alos TS3 was late in the consoles lives really hence why it didn't see, as people were simply waiting for the next gen already.

[quote user="the1337gamer"]

Now you get other developers just sort of jumping on the band wagon with the whole modern military fps bringing nothing new really.

[/quote]

Exactly. Too many developers are trying to ride on the coat tails of Call of Dutys success instead of trying to make their own. Too many Call of Duty clones, but in this day and age of gaming, if a FPS doesn't have Call of Duty controls everyone cries about it. Gamers only have themselves to blame by forcing a standard down to their own lack of ability to adapt to anything new.

I miss Timesplitters in this world of generic FPS games. I like Halo as it is different to the ordinary military shooter. I loved TS2 and TS:FP. I just wish they would make one, but make it right. I would hate for it to turn into a Duke Nukem: Forever. Also apparently Battlefront 3 is going to be developed by Spark Unlimited but they're track record isn't exactly great and I'm worried they'll mess it up.

It's brilliant when they can bring back a franchise succesfully but when they fail it is crushing.

agreed.....the community behind the game is made up of the easily pleased and the ones who dont know what FPS was like before MW2, so they dont know any better...it would take alot however, to make enough noise to get their attention away from the COD's that plague the genre, doesnt help when MS lay down in bed with CoD and made it their main interesting franchise wise

[quote user="Cokney Charmer"]

I think even Halo has taken a back seat to the more pure modern Military themed shooters...., sometimes its just nice not to have to represent a country in conflict....Unreal Tournament on the PC back in the day still my all time fav online shooter

[/quote]

Well since Reach's release, yes, halo has become less popular.  Obviously Halo 3's community is very small now and Halo Reach's community isn't anywhere as large as Halo 3's before Reach's release.  Halo 3 was almost consistently 1st or 2nd on live activity charts with the latest COD.  Now you get other developers just sort of jumping on the band wagon with the whole modern military fps bringing nothing new really.

Timesplitters is the best FPS franchise created. I'd love to see a new one on this generation of systems.

I think even Halo has taken a back seat to the more pure modern Military themed shooters...., sometimes its just nice not to have to represent a country in conflict....Unreal Tournament on the PC back in the day still my all time fav online shooter

I had Timesplitter 2 and Future Perfect on PS2, both brilliant games.  Timesplitters 2 was actually the first FPS i played and what got me into playing shooting games.  I'd love to see a Timesplitters 4 and see it be a successful hit but you look at this generation of FPS, on xbox it's mainly COD and Halo that have dominated the market.

Has to be said, the FPS genre seriously needs something like Time Splitters to take away the full on Military themes turning the genre into a boring mess....just old school arcade fun is much needed, lets hope the above is just a bit of smoke and mirrors and there is a TS4 on the horizon!