Why should I buy a Xbox One? Seriously.

I am not trying to start a flame war or troll I am looking for an honest answer and I'll explain why. I turned on my Xbox 360 today and they fan isn't working. Manufacture date of the console is 3/14/2011 so it's out of warranty. Now this isn't my first 360, it's my third. By the way I also have a WII hooked to the TV in the living room that I play with the grandkids, and a PS4 that is hooked up in the spare room on the same TV as the 360. The WII was purchased in 2009 (game cube compatible) and the PS4 in 2010 both of which have given me no problems. I had the original Xbox (also game cube and PS2) and they gave me no problems. I am a huge Halo fan and that is the reason I bought the 360 first in 2006 and by Christmas 2008 well RRD & out of warranty. I drive to Best Buy and buy the Halo 3 edition of the 360 (which ironically didn't come with Halo 3). Fast forward to 2010... RRD on the Halo 360. I was extremely upset, I went online and found it was a known issue and my Halo 360 was covered by an extended warranty that Microsoft extended, not purchased. I sent it to get fixed which took 4 weeks, got it back and it lasted 7 months before it crashed and was not covered. However, the issue was know and now the 360s is out that solves the problem. So I bought the 360s in the Summer of 2011 and now here it is 2013 and this one has crashed. 3 consoles in 5 years. Now you may have picked up I am an older gamer and in fact I remember playing pong on a home console (it also had tennis and breakout). My grandkids and their friends play the WII never the 360 or PS4, my 30+ year old kids sometimes play the 360 or PS4, however neither is abused (the consoles or the kids). The fact is I really want the Xbox One, but I am so gun shy now about even picking one up. I know the One has an exclusive with Halo and at least a time delay exclusive with Titanfall, but I am torn. I know at this point I am buying the PS4 for myself for Christmas (from my wife). I can't risk multiple failures and replacement Xbox consoles that delay other purchases. I guess my main question is does anyone know if they fixed the heat problem with the One. I know they say they have, but I've heard it before. Those that own a Xbox One what is your opinion of the console? Does it appear to be defect free (hopefully none have broken yet) or are you finding it runs hot like the 360 did? I appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

Hey there Munky Spaink,

This is a bit of an older thread. If you do have any specific support issues the community can help out with. Please post a new topic in the appropriate thread.

Thanks so much!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Seriously, Don't, mine  refuses to power up and its less than a month old, at least my old original Xbox didn't screw up until they extended the warranty, then it did it on the regular, UPS became a regular sight at my house, the 360 was ok if you could keep it cool, then the dumb disk unrecognizable crap started, sure theres a fix but the fact there's a fix shows microsoft sells buggy crap.  Makes me glad I work in a Unix environment, there is a lot to be said about reliability and that's something I've yet to get from Microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had mine for 3 weeks only problem I have got is switching the console on, it beeps, starts up and shuts down,  but apart from that, great kit,

Sorry this didn't help.

My honest answer is don't!!

I bought one at midnight and guess what?? Going back in the morning to demand a full refund!

Doesn't work

Read the other posts in the forum lots of issues I'm getting my hard earned cash back

I don't think it's acceptable on launch day to be told - oh your going to have to wait until we are sent another console-

I'm a huge fan of Xbox however the proof of the pudding is in the eating but guess what??

[Mod Removed]

therefore I can't tell you how the operating system works lol

I can however tell you that it's the most expensive paperweight I've ever bought

Sorry this didn't help.

In my experience it's the luck of the draw with all electricals. My launch 360 has been completely abused and apart from a slightly sticky disc drive, it actually still works! I've never had a problem myself, and everyone I know that did have had it sorted out very nicely by xbox support. I'm a big fan of in store warranties that you can get for 3 years as well, because I have a naughty toddler running round and they will replace any and all problems, even accidental damage. Also for what it's worth my husband works for Game in the UK and his store has already had two dead PS4s that were supposed to be up and running as demonstration models, which alongside all the reports stateside about PS4s failing, isn't very reassuring in my opinion! Also as you mentioned it, it has actually been confirmed by the developers that Titanfall is a lifetime exclusive and will never be on the PS4.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am an older gamer also, and like you I've had multiple 360's RROD on me. My first I had fixed myself 3 days before they announced the warranty extension.

I had the same questions regarding buying a Xbox One. To make my decision I thought about what made me keep coming back to the 360 time and time again, even after multiple hardware failures. The answers were the community I played with, the depth of features, game franchise exclusives, and the software experience.

Knowing that I wanted to stick  with MS's platform I began thinking about how I could insulate myself from potential losses due to hardware failure. First, I would hope that MS learned a lot from the 360's RROD issue. I am counting on a durable piece of hardware. Second, I will be purchasing the $69.99 3 year extended warranty. Third, I will be purchasing from a retailer with the most liberal return policy in town.

I don't know if this helps you or not. It's just the thought process I went through in making my decision.

Sorry this didn't help.

I hear you, but don't think anybody here can ease your concern. It's the risk of being an early adopter (1 have 2, XB1 arriving tomorrow). If Halo is the primary driver for XB1, then why not wait a year or so? Enjoy the PS4, and when Halo 5 launches (next XMas?), see if there have been any big problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

seems you have had more than your share of bad luck with the 360 :( but i would go for the xb1 but if you are worried then maybe get an extended warranty along with it just for peace of mind. (IMO you need it just for halo an awesome game)

as a personal note from me (not as xbox ambassador ) but i have read of faults on the ps4 so would get a extended warranty with that too

Sorry this didn't help.