Why Microsoft should add Windows to their consoles

If Microsoft were able to add a modified version of windows onto their consoles, that would make gaming so much better. If the modified windows version were not too heavily modified, that would allow easy game porting over to PC for many exclusive Xbox titles, increasing game sales. This would also work with PC exclusive titles over to the Xbox. Microsoft would also be able to beat Sony to a free online multiplayer that would work exactly like it does on PC, and you could be able to play cross platform multiplayer games with friends. There is an another upcoming contender in the console market, and that would be steamboxes. If Microsoft were to add windows to their Xbox, there would be no way that steambox sales would surpass those of the Xbox. The Xbox would be cheaper, more powerful, and offer the exact same and more features. I hope Microsoft realizes this opportunity to dominate the console market, and takes it.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

The One already does run a modified version of Windows 8, soon to be replaced by Windows 10.

You are unlikely to ever see first party Microsoft exclusives hit the PC because exclusives are console sellers, they want to give people a reason to buy their console. Would any PC gamer buy a console if all the games they wanted were available on the PC?

Also Microsoft make a huge amount of money from the Gold subscription to play online. They are unlikely to allow cross platform play between PC and One because it would annoy their console customers who have to pay when the PC gamers they are taking on do not.

Steamboxes are just small form PCs, they've existed for years, and adding Valve branding onto them is not going to cause people to switch, especially if they are running linux.

If Microsoft makes another console after the Xbox One, I hope they will learn from their mistakes on the Xbox One (which they will because Phil Spencer knows what he's doing). Thus, I think they should make the most powerful console (get either Nvidia or Intel as their specs of choice) on the 9th generation market like what they did with the Original Xbox (most powerful console of 6th gen), continue to make more new innovating IPs plus diverse selection of games to choice from (RPGs, Action, Adventure, Platformers, Shooters, Sports, etc.), get better Japanese development support, and of course, make it cost about either $400 or $500.

[quote user="XxBaconPig69xX"]If Microsoft were able to add a modified version of windows onto their consoles[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they're already doing that with the introduction of Windows 10.

[quote user="XxBaconPig69xX"]Microsoft would also be able to beat Sony to a free online multiplayer that would work exactly like it does on PC,[/quote]

There is no technical reason Xbox can't have free online already.  The only reason they do it (and will continue to do it) is because it makes them a truckload of money.  

[quote user="XxBaconPig69xX"]and you could be able to play cross platform multiplayer games with friends.[/quote]

Again, something that is already in the works with Windows 10.  

Also, cross-platform gaming with Xbox and PC is nothing new.  They had it on the 360 with games like 'Shadowrun', with little to no success.

[quote user="XxBaconPig69xX"]There is an another upcoming contender in the console market, and that would be steamboxes. If Microsoft were to add windows to their Xbox, there would be no way that steambox sales would surpass those of the Xbox.[/quote]

All a Steambox is, is a cheap mini PC.  There is nothing particularly special about them.  

[quote user="XxBaconPig69xX"]The Xbox would be cheaper, more powerful, and offer the exact same and more features.[/quote]

I already own an Alienware Alpha (which is one of the base PC's for the Steambox).  Price for price (the Xbox One and the Alpha are a similar price) the Xbox One is already a better gaming experience for me.