Why is Xbox Live the only gaming marketplace that charges Canadians more?

On steam we pay the exact same amount in US dollars(which are equal).

On iTunes/App store we pay the exact same amount in CDN funds as they charge in the US.

On the PS3/PSN we pay the exact same amount in CDN funds as they charge in the US.

With Xbox Live points however, we are still charged $20 for only 1400 points, compared to $20 for 1600 points in the US.  As a result all of our digital purchases cost us 14.5% more compared to the US or any other service in Canada.  As someone who spends a lot of money on gaming, that really adds up.

For example, if I buy the Call of Duty season pass on the PS3 it costs me $50.00 Cdn. On the Xbox 360 it costs me over $57.00!!...WHY?  Xbox Live is also the only service out of any of those that I pay $60 a year for on top of that.

Furthermore they still do not sell points in even denominations in Canada either.  Most games and content on Xbox Live are sold in increments of 400 points ( 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 4000, etc) .  They changed this in the US quite a while ago to allow customer to buy points in these denominations so that you didn't have to over-purchase them to have enough and could just pay the exact amount most of the time.   They disregarded Canada for this change.  In Canada we are still forced to buy these odd point values which always amount to too much or not enough.

I have all the major gaming platforms and the 360 has always been my preferred choice.  I buy all my games and content on there where I have the option but I have to admit I am really getting soured by this 2nd class approach to Canadians.  This lack of equality is really going to be a factor that  causes me to look at another primary platform for the next generation.  I've been a loyal Xbox user since the the original Xbox launch.   I enjoy the 360 and prefer it but I am really becoming frustrated with how much more it's costing me to support them compared to the competition.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 69 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Moonlord"]

On steam we pay the exact same amount in US dollars(which are equal).

On iTunes/App store we pay the exact same amount in CDN funds as they charge in the US.

On the PS3/PSN we pay the exact same amount in CDN funds as they charge in the US.

With Xbox Live points however, we are still charged $20 for only 1400 points, compared to $20 for 1600 points in the US.  As a result all of our digital purchases cost us 14.5% more compared to the US or any other service in Canada.  As someone who spends a lot of money on gaming, that really adds up.

For example, if I buy the Call of Duty season pass on the PS3 it costs me $50.00 Cdn. On the Xbox 360 it costs me over $57.00!!...WHY?  Xbox Live is also the only service out of any of those that I pay $60 a year for on top of that.

Furthermore they still do not sell points in even denominations in Canada either.  Most games and content on Xbox Live are sold in increments of 400 points ( 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 4000, etc) .  They changed this in the US quite a while ago to allow customer to buy points in these denominations so that you didn't have to over-purchase them to have enough and could just pay the exact amount most of the time.   They disregarded Canada for this change.  In Canada we are still forced to buy these odd point values which always amount to too much or not enough.

I have all the major gaming platforms and the 360 has always been my preferred choice.  I buy all my games and content on there where I have the option but I have to admit I am really getting soured by this 2nd class approach to Canadians.  This lack of equality is really going to be a factor that  causes me to look at another primary platform for the next generation.  I've been a loyal Xbox user since the the original Xbox launch.   I enjoy the 360 and prefer it but I am really becoming frustrated with how much more it's costing me to support them compared to the competition.

[/quote]

Generally speaking it's business practices:  they do it because they can.

All you can do as the consumer is vote with your wallet and not by the content through the service or support the service.

--
Juxtapose13

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Canada is 1 country that has it's own economy, and currency. The US is another. Thus prices will vary and always will when comparing prices from 1 county to another country.

Sorry this didn't help.

blah blah blah... same useless topics over and over again.

Sorry this didn't help.

No offense Wikkiwild but please at least read the post before replying.  I'm not comparing it to another country...I'm comparing it to the exact same content on other similar services IN CANADA (all of which just happen to charge the same price as their US equivalents). Canada having their own economy does not explain why the 360 is the exception to the rule everyone else is

in line with.  It also doesn't explain why 360 retail games are priced the same as the US and the competition.

Forget about the US for the sake of the main point.    Why do digital purchases from Xbox live in Canada cost me more than the exact same purchases on the PS3/PSN or any other service in Canada?   Xbox Live is the odd one out when it comes to digital purchase price parity across all other services that sell the same content in Canada.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not just Xbox though, it's pretty much everything out there.

Our dollars are pretty equal right now, but 90% of products you purchase in stores cost more in Canada.

Sorry this didn't help.

Books are a big one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ugh, you guys.   I should have never mentioned the US...forget the US. I'm not talking about books, or cars, or any other products.  I'm talking about games and digital content in Canada.

Xbox Live content prices IN CANADA cost more than that same content on any other service IN CANADA.

If a Canadian buys the Call of Duty season pass on Steam in Canada it costs them $49.99.

If a Canadian buys the Call of Duty Season pass on the PlayStation 3 in Canada it costs them $49.99.

If a Canadian buys the Call of Duty season pass on the Xbox 360 in Canada it costs them around $57!

A $15 arcade game on the PS3 in Canada winds up costing you over $17 to buy it on the Xbox 360 instead.

A Skyrim expansion that retails for $20 everywhere else in Canada, costs almost $23 on the Xbox 360.

Do you get it yet?

All regularly priced digital content on the 360 costs Canadians around 14.5% more than the Canadian competition because of the point system pricing in Canada.

Again, I'm not posting this to bag on the 360...it is my preferred console by far which I spend a LOT of money on. That's why this lack of competitive pricing is starting to take it's toll.  There is no good excuse for it.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Moonlord"]

Ugh, you guys.   I should have never mentioned the US...forget the US. I'm not talking about books, or cars, or any other products.  I'm talking about games and digital content in Canada.

Xbox Live content prices IN CANADA cost more than that same content on any other service IN CANADA.

If a Canadian buys the Call of Duty season pass on Steam in Canada it costs them $49.99.

If a Canadian buys the Call of Duty Season pass on the PlayStation 3 in Canada it costs them $49.99.

If a Canadian buys the Call of Duty season pass on the Xbox 360 in Canada it costs them around $57!

A $15 arcade game on the PS3 in Canada winds up costing you over $17 to buy it on the Xbox 360 instead.

A Skyrim expansion that retails for $20 everywhere else in Canada, costs almost $23 on the Xbox 360.

Do you get it yet?

All regularly priced digital content on the 360 costs Canadians around 14.5% more than the Canadian competition because of the point system pricing in Canada.

Again, I'm not posting this to bag on the 360...it is my preferred console by far which I spend a LOT of money on. That's why this lack of competitive pricing is starting to take it's toll.  There is no good excuse for it.

[/quote]

People keep buying the content at those prices, so they won't lower them; why would they?  Unless they change their business model, the gap will likely only close up if sales drastically drop.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue (overall prices, not live) is on the National News, right now as I type this.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Jameser78"]

This issue (overall prices, not live) is on the National News, right now as I type this.

[/quote]

Anything interesting?

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.