Why is it against Xbox Live Policy?

Honestly I would like to be able to upgrade my hard drive, without being banned. Why? Because I would like to be able to put all of my games on the hard drive (disc-based and downloaded from the marketplace). I don't get into nefarious activities. I don't cheat in games. I don't try to destroy the online multiplayer experience. None of that has ever crossed my mind.  To be able to upgrade your hard drive with being banned should be an option to any person who owns an Xbox 360.

Obviously there is a program that sends a code to the hard drive to check for anything illegal, why not just check for illegal programs that may affect online gaming on the Xbox 360? I don't generally watch movies on my xbox (the only time I watch a movie on my xbox is if I am too lazy to turn on my other console), I don't play music on it. I just game on it. I almost rarely get into the online multiplayer aspect of games, mostly because almost every lobby I get into, either has someone that exploit the match to their advantage or there is  some whiny snot-noised brat playing with the big boys and using foul language they shouldn't be using.

Truth is, I remember when the first 120GB HDD became available, it was $200 (a ripoff) considering that the only difference from any other hard drive, was it had only a code to make it compatible with the Xbox 360 and a hard drive cage to fit it to the Xbox 360. By todays hard drive capacities and prices, it the 320GB were $200, a person could go online and find a 750GB HDD for $75; then take the 320 apart write the MS hard drive code on the 750, put it into the HDD cage, place it back into the xbox and have 750GB for $75 instead of waiting for Microsoft to make a bigger hard drive. But if that did happen, the standalone hard drive would cost between $200 and $500 considering Microsofts overpricing history.

TLDR; I just want to be able to upgrade my hard drive without being banned, because I didn't buy a Microsoft-branded hard drive.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hi,

Without getting into a long drawn out debate, you agreed to the terms of use when you signed up for Xbox live which includes the following

You must not

Use any unauthorized third-party software, service, or device to access the Service;

So by using an unauthorised hard drive you instantly break the terms of use.

www.xbox.com/.../livetou

I do admit it would be nice to be able to fit your own hard drive, my 250Gb hard drive is virtually full, however as it is Microsoft do not allow this and that's something you and I have to live with.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey slacker2011 a simple way to do that with out getting into microsofts firmware. You can take a External harddrive and partition it into 16 gb slots of FAT 32. Hello 20 seperate HDD's showing up on the console but hello storage!

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, Slacker. As ThingOnAString mentioned, when you sign up for Xbox LIVE you agree to the Terms of Use which does specify that you must not use any unauthorized third-party software, service, or device to access the Service.

However, I do appreciate that you took the time to voice your opinion on this subject and I would encourage you to post in this Console Feedback forum: forums.xbox.com/.../2604.aspx. This will make sure your feedback reaches the best audience possible.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.