Why E3 was a let down

Since this is a Xbox forum I’ll stick to just that, but this applies to 90% of E3

I guess it depends on your expectations. If you wanted to be wowed by a bunch of pre announced titles that have numbers attached to the end then you were probably happy. But when I think about E3 I think about GAMES and the potential of games, along with a high level of anticipation to be surprised by new games. E3 more than failed to meet my expectations. Between watching things become (worse) “better with Kinect”, smartglass, usher telling people to get on their feet at a video game convention at 10am and gameplay footage of the same titles with a fresh coat of paint, what was at E3? To be honest not a lot.

These large stage shows have ruined it for the people that actually have fresh interesting and NEW ideas to share. Even if they are not super impressive, such as the new take on The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. But I would much rather watch that then a 10 minute demo of  Call of Duty in which I already know what is going to look like.

Am I the only one that is truly disheartened by the current state of E3. Sure there were good things. Dishounered looked great and Watch Dogs was at least new, and the DC fighter has an interesting premise. But these type of things are overshadowed by large stages, light shows and guest appearances by B-grade celebrities that haven’t played a video game in 10 years (Re: Joe Montana).

We got to see 3 trailers that didn't tell us much about how the GAME will be played. The highlight of Microsoft's press conference had to be Trey Parker's joke about smartglass. 

We sat back and watched Microsoft literally burn money on stage by having Usher come on and perform to an audience that couldn’t care less. I have no issue with Just Dance 3 but do you think the majority of people that buy that game are going to watch the Microsoft press conference? I doubt it. Why waste our time, or more importantly our money (from XBL), on this?

Dear E3 call me when your conference is about games again.

Apologies for the wall of txt. Just another thing to be thankful for from the update

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Yeah their conference seems to be getting worse every year although a lot of people think this has been MS best performance of the last 3 years (but still it was not good) and Sony and Nintendo were just as bad. Pretty much everyone agrees that Ubisoft won E3 this year by sticking to showing more of the good games we know are coming and unveiling a few new ones to surprise us with, even if their presenters were cringe worthy although that big black woman worked for me! I am hoping it has more to do with the 360 coming to the end of its life cycle in the next 1-2 years so there simply isnt the amount of games being made for it as developers are now starting to focus on the next gen consoles and hopefully E3 will return to what it was with the next gen. Wishful thinking but I can only hope :-)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ubisoft was the best this year. I also agree with the Trey Parker joke, that was so out of the blue hilarious. One of my biggest disappointments with the MS press conference was the Gears: Judgement announcement, that was just so lackluster in general. Plus I think it is too soon for a gears game.

Have to admit I was rather impressed with Halo 4 but I guess we'll have to see how the final game turns out. I feel like we should all trust (to a reasonable degree) 343, they seemed to be fairly switched on. Generally I think e3 used to be alot better. I don't know whether its the way they organise the press conferences in the past 3-4 years but I remembered being absolutely blown away every year when I was younger.

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't find it disappointing...mainly because my expectations weren't really high, to begin with.

There was enough, pre E3, to suggest that it would be more hype than substance this year and that's the way it seems to have turned out. I did like the look of Halo4, XCOM:EU and Tomb Raider, but.

I think Smart Glass is potentially exciting, but also a potential flop. Not much else really caught my eye, but.

Sorry this didn't help.