why does my xbox think there is an ethernet cable plugged in when there isnt?

hi. my xbox says that theres an ethernet cable plugged into my xbox when there isnt, when an ethernaet cable is plugged in wireless quickly switches on then back off, the same happens when you take it back out? i dont understand why as i have only ever used a wireless network? HELP

Question Info

Last updated October 21, 2018 Views 1,972 Applies to:

Try running the "Restore to factory defaults" function on your Xbox.  It is in the Network Settings under Additional Settings. Then reboot your Xbox and re-setup your wireless.  See if that clears things up.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm having the same problem...the answer I got here was "take it back to the store" . Not a very useful hunk of advice. I have had nothing but connection issues with this POS. And as I scan these forum pages I see a lot of connection issues so obviously there is a problem that is not being addressed. Funny but I had no connection issues when they took my money for a gold account I can't even use.  When I called tech support I was put through the same steps that are listed here on the site. So after that exercise in redundancy I asked for a refund was put on mega hold. Still don't have a X-box that can connect and still don't have a refund.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like the ports being described in this thread will need to be repaired. You can use this website to check your warranty status and set up a repair. Alternatively, if the console was recently purchased, you can contact the vendor about an exchange.

Sorry this didn't help.

I get this problem every now and then. I'm usually able to fix it just by restarting.

Sorry this didn't help.