Why do we pay more?

For PC games, it seems they are cheaper than consoles, and in alot of cases, better. 2 examples are Skyrim and BF3, why if more effort is being put into PC games, are we as console gamers paying more? is it because we are willing to pay? or it generally costs more? this isnt a rant, im just unsure as to why we pay more, would be interested to find out if someone could shed some light on this, thanks

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

As sony, microsoft and nintendo like a slice of the cake when a game is bought,

That does not happen on PC,

Microsoft?

It depends were you purchase the PC game from.

If it's from Stream/ Origin/ Onlive it's usually cheaper due to not having to go through the process of making the disc case, manual and the disc itself.

even on amazon , game etc, i really dont understand why we pay more...?

[quote user="UnchargedTerror"]

For PC games, it seems they are cheaper than consoles, and in alot of cases, better. 2 examples are Skyrim and BF3, why if more effort is being put into PC games, are we as console gamers paying more? is it because we are willing to pay? or it generally costs more? this isnt a rant, im just unsure as to why we pay more, would be interested to find out if someone could shed some light on this, thanks

[/quote]

For Battlefield 3 I might agree with you, but with Skyrim Xbox 360 is the leading development platform. Just thought I'd make that clear.

Also to answer your question this thread about sums it up.

Different sides all take their share of the price of a video game on a console or on a PC, more so on Consoles as its "their hardware"...The PC world doesnt have that requirement...but then a console is cheaper then getting a PC or a Laptop to run modern games like BF3 or Skyrim. And with online retailing, you can always find a deal on games, even the top tier ones so you can pay no more then its PC version anyway

thanks

As I said!

Game comapneys have to pay Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to have games on their systems.

PC is a open platform and this does not happen!

Licencing fees is one of the reasons, a PC is(mostly) an open platform, the 360/PS3/Wii are not. Developers have to pay a fee to MS/Sony/Nintendo to sell their product on their console.

Probably because most people don't "purchase" PC games if they're remotely computer savvy. The publishers are fighting a losing war on that platform and they know it.