Why do I pay a sub fee for Gold?

Like the title says, exactly what am I paying for every month? I know I am using the XBL service to play online games and have been for many years now. However, where exactly is my money going? Is it going to the upkeep of Xbox servers and customer support? Which if you've ever had to call XBL customer support you would know it would be easier and faster to YouTube your problem. But the question remains what do I really pay for? For instance I pay the cable company to provide services such as TV, Internet, and phone. Along with that bill I have a general idea of where my payment goes every month. Such as line maintenance, repairs if need be, and in general quality service (sort of). Also why must I pay to use apps like Netflix on my Xbox? For what reason is that a Gold only option? Is the reason good enough to justify it being an exclusive service on the Xbox? Or is Microsoft just trying to nickel and dime me? However, I would like to know exactly where my money is going and why. For all I know I could be unknowingly funding the Neo-Nazi movement or the killing of innocent puppies, no one likes dead puppies.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

That's the same thing you pay for Xbox LIVE for.  You pay for Microsoft to provide an Online Service for you as well as provide maintenance, keep the servers up, and pay for the cost of the Microsoft Employees that help keep the Xbox Services running.

Because you choose to.

Gaming is a choice and there are several alternatives out there so it isn't like you/we are being forced to be here if you/we don't like it.

You answered your own question twink.   GOOD LUCK!!!

[quote user="TwinkieMayhemXx"]For all I know I could be unknowingly funding the Neo-Nazi movement or the killing of innocent puppies, no one likes dead puppies.

[/quote]   this

Somehow I doubt twink is paying for anything.  Or just trolling along.......

Lol no I pay yearly just never really understood where it went until I really thought about it I guess.

You are paying for the people who enforce the rules when people decide to cheat or try to ruin other people's online experience.  Also with the Xbox One there are over 300k servers now on XBL for games to take advantage of.  Not to mention space in the cloud for profiles and other things to be synced to.  Not only that, but MS has added games with gold, so now you actually get free games that you OWN and not rent.  So when/if they day comes that you no longer want XBL you can continue to play your game(s).  

Some argue that its not enough for MS to charge for XBL but that is entirely subjective.  You have to make the decision if its worth it or not.

[quote user="TwinkieMayhemXx"]Like the title says, exactly what am I paying for every month? I know I am using the XBL service to play online games and have been for many years now. However, where exactly is my money going? Is it going to the upkeep of Xbox servers and customer support? Which if you've ever had to call XBL customer support you would know it would be easier and faster to YouTube your problem. But the question remains what do I really pay for? For instance I pay the cable company to provide services such as TV, Internet, and phone. Along with that bill I have a general idea of where my payment goes every month. Such as line maintenance, repairs if need be, and in general quality service (sort of). Also why must I pay to use apps like Netflix on my Xbox? For what reason is that a Gold only option? Is the reason good enough to justify it being an exclusive service on the Xbox? Or is Microsoft just trying to nickel and dime me? However, I would like to know exactly where my money is going and why. For all I know I could be unknowingly funding the Neo-Nazi movement or the killing of innocent puppies, no one likes dead puppies.

[/quote]

MS spent 1 billion dollars for 270,000 new servers up from just 30,000 ( or was it 15,000 ) servers.

I think thats where the money goes.

MS spend it on wine , women and song , then just waste what's left.

For online multiplayer access? Well that is what it was for originally.