Why do i keep disconnecting from xbox live?

Please Please Please Please help me.  This has been going on for about a year now and it's seriously prohibiting me from playing and enjoying xbox live.  

Everytime i sign into xbox live.  I for some unknown reason disconnect about 30 seconds - 2 minutes after signing in.  The only way i know how to fix  it (temporarily) is to unplug my modem and router and plug them back in.  But usually ill still disconnect after signing back in.  The worst part is that it interrupts the internet connection for everything on my home network and my parents get very mad when it happens.  This doesnt happen with our 3 laptops, 2 desktops, playstation 3, wii, or ipods.  I dont know why it only happens when the xbox connects.  

Please help.  My dad told me if this disconnecting thing keeps happening.  He's going to block my 360 from connecting to the internet on the router.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

But most of the time when i try going on xbox live, my 360 is usually the only device connected to it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Looks like you have a lot of different devices that use internet. When you connect to xbox live, the xbox requires a certain amount of bandwidth and so does all the other devices.

Lets put it like this. You have 5 sweets. and 6 friends. Each friend needs at least 1 sweet. It just doesn't work. So they fight over who gets what sweet! It's the exact same as your xbox, other devices and bandwidth.

Your xbox tries to take the required bandwidth but it steals the laptop's bandwidth. So the laptop steals the desktop's bandwidth and the desktop steal's the Wii's bandwidth etc etc... This happens continuously and then the router times itself out and this everything disconnects.

Turn off some of the devices and try it out.

-VideoGamerHD  

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="TheCactusHugger"]

What Country/State/Province do you live in: I live in the United States, Columbia South Carolina

Modem brand & model number: Westell Model B90-610030-06

Router brand & model number: Netgear Wireless-N 300 WNR2000

Network Connection Type: Wireless

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using:  WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Things you have tried: Giving the 360 priority on the QoS and forwarding ports

Is UPnP Enabled" Yes(on both the router and modem)

Is NAT Type Open:  Yes

Any Error Codes you encounter: none

What type of internet do you have: DSL

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider):  AT&T

When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen:  Nothing comes up after test is done.

hope that helps.  Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I really need to resolve this issue.  My dad is getting infuriated from the internet being constantly disconnected when i sign into xbox live.

[/quote]

Why do you have two types of encryption enabled? One is sufficient.

Do you still have Port Forwarding and uPnP enabled? If so then you need to choose one and disable the other. You can NOT have uPnP, Port Forwarding or DMZ enabled at the same time. If you do it will only cause more conflicts.

I would recommend you reset your router back to factory settings (the day you bought it and took it out of the box). On most routers there is a reset button on the back or bottom of the router and in some it is within the router settings. Once you do that you can then connect your console to XBL and then add your other devices as you use them. Resetting the router should resolve your disconnection issue.

Let us know how it goes. Just out of curiosity, what is your internet speed? Go to speedtest.net on your pc and run three tests; one close to you, one far from you, and one in between. Then post the result links here for us or post the results for the download speed, upload speed and ping.

Sorry this didn't help.

What Country/State/Province do you live in: I live in the United States, Columbia South Carolina

Modem brand & model number: Westell Model B90-610030-06

Router brand & model number: Netgear Wireless-N 300 WNR2000

Network Connection Type: Wireless

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using:  WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Things you have tried: Giving the 360 priority on the QoS and forwarding ports

Is UPnP Enabled" Yes(on both the router and modem)

Is NAT Type Open:  Yes

Any Error Codes you encounter: none

What type of internet do you have: DSL

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider):  AT&T

When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen:  Nothing comes up after test is done.

hope that helps.  Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I really need to resolve this issue.  My dad is getting infuriated from the internet being constantly disconnected when i sign into xbox live.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you check the pinned thread at the top of this forum yet?

START HERE: I can’t connect to (or I’m being disconnected from) Xbox LIVE

Sorry this didn't help.

What did you do to prioritize the xbox on the router? On that kind of setup umber at 2 firewalls to configure- the westell is technically a router of sorts too

Sorry this didn't help.

My network equipments are:

A Westell (not sure if spelled right) DSL Modem and a Netgear Wireless N 300 router.

Other devices connected to my router are:

2 Desktops(wired), 2 laptops (wireless), 1 netbook(wireless), Playstation 3 (Wireless), Wii (wireless), 2 Ipod Touch's (wireless), and my xbox 360 (wires).

I know it may seem like a lot of devices on one home network,  But usually there is very few of them connected to the internet at one time and i prioritized connection for my 360 on the router.

Only my 360 disconnects and causes network/internet disruption.

Sorry this didn't help.

what network equiptment are you using and what other wireless devices are in the home?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is alot of Bandwith being used my guess would be that your internet can't handle all that usage i would suggest turning off most of those devices and checking your stats on Speedtest.net

Sorry this didn't help.