Why cant we opt out of updates.

I've just had another update for the Xbox, why? I cant be the only one who just uses the Xbox for games.

I dont want an avatar.

I dont use it to watch films or TV.

Facebook, no, YouTube, no.

Now let's look at some of the updates, flawed is the right word I think content that used to work ok now doesn't work properly.

My Xbox now takes 5 times longer to start up than it used to.

I realize that some of these updates are necessary to fix errors in games and glitches that occur but why can't Xbox Live give us gamers who just want to play games on their console and nothing else the chance to opt out. Not for gaming updates but for the other useless stuff that I don't want or will ever use.

Thank you for reading.

If you agree then please comment. Perhaps the people at Xbox Live will finally start listening to gamers who bought the console for gaming and nothing else.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The extra stuff is probably because Xbox Live has been payed to use this kind of software. They don't realize that it slows down loading when it starts because they really don't care. At least that's what I think. When the Xbox community first started when the Xbox 360 came out, it was fine. But now YouTube, Facebook etc want to expand their audience and attract more people by 'luring' them into going onto it. Most Xbox users don't use computers and the creators of YouTube, Facebook etc thought by using Xbox as a thing to get more users onto their website through Xbox Live. I do like the avatars though :3

You'd eventually have to take the update anyway, even if there were an opt-out of getting them from LIVE.

-

Most games have the update before their release on the disc and wont play unless you install it, if you have a lower version.

voteDC did you read the post, im not complaing about the game updates. its the extras and add-ons like the avatars, films and tv.

That stuff is usless to me and slows the xbox down.

then play games, I have not noticed any slow down on the dashboard, even the old blade system was the same speed this is now. just set your drive to start automatically when you insert a disc then you will be on the dash less time.

Farscape good idea just one problem if i do what you suggest, The Xbox forgets content i have downloaded, like Map Packs, so i have to log out of Xbox live start the game, then log in again so it can find the maps.

My point is the extra stuff is causing glitches in the dashboard, And i would like the option to not use the extra stuff if i want.

I don`t use any dashboard extras either but the updates don`t bother me at all,i haven`t noticed any slow down caused by them.

-

also i thought there was an option to decline the update when it pops up.

[quote user="DivineWindA"]

voteDC did you read the post, im not complaing about the game updates. its the extras and add-ons like the avatars, films and tv.

That stuff is usless to me and slows the xbox down.[/quote]Yes I did read your post and I am talking about dashboard updates.

It is the dashboard updates that are on the game discs and they will not play unless at least that version is on the 360. 

Allowing people to opt out will create a fragmented system not to mention the security systems that are introduced with each update 

Gaming hasnt truly been about the games for about ten years now, the suits control all now. What started as fun is slowly being sucked away by corporate bumholes who care more about the end sell

And if Microsoft want a big fat bung from Netflix, Facebook, Lovefilm, coors beer, John Lewis or any other useless guff you dont want or need then tough. Your going to have it rammed right down your throat regardless, hell, you can even pay for it too when you buy into Live.

Remember, gaming is about you having fun! (As long as your paying through the nose for it and having things shoved onto you that you dont need, or want)

Dont forget that it is american as well. Nothing of any real greatness comes from the states. Sucking the life out of any thing good, for a price..

To be fair Netflix and love film are excellt value for money. Just sayin