Why can't I use my Microsoft Account to renew membership?

So points are gone now and it's been converted to real local currency.  So how come I can't use that currency to get a month month pass to XBL Gold?  It'll only let me upgrade by credit card or code.

I found a 25 dollar Xbox cash card in 7-11 today and bought it thinking I could use it to get a month long subscription and then have some extra cash left over for map packs/games etc.  Nope.  Apparently Microsoft is doing some false advertising by calling it cash and then not allowing you to...you know...SPEND IT LIKE CASH.  Seems like they need to go back to calling it points if they exclude memberships to their own service.   No where on the card does it say I am not allowed to renew memberships with the money. 

What is this garbage?  Why are all the month long cards gone from stores as well?  Looks like microsoft has screwed me out of 25 bucks since I won't be able to play online and theres no point in buying map packs or games because of it.  Thanks so much for bending me over once again.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 307 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Points cards have never been able to be used for memberships. If this had changed, I'd think we'd have heard about it.

Maybe in the future the currency stored value can be used for membership purchases, but currently this is not the case.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It SHOULD have changed when they switched to actual currency.  Not allowing to renew with money allready in a account is crazy.

It'd be like buying a gas card from Shell and them telling you that you can't purchase gas with it.  Money is money.  They certainly didn't have trouble taking it from me.  

But this is the last straw for me.  I've put up with Red Rings and other frustrations.  I'm going to use the remaining money to buy the second season of the walking dead game, and then I'm throwing my xbox in the trash where it belongs.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Also: I have 10 dollars in cash I could use for a 1 month code BUT no stores have the 1 month card anymore.  So I have to wait until I get my next paycheck until I have a credit card to buy a single month with.  What a waste of time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you checked Amazon.com? They're usually pretty good at keeping stock of 1 Month prepaid cards.

Sorry this didn't help.

You could always create a new account on your console and take advantage of one of the 3 free 1mo trials assuming that you have not already used them all up.

Sorry this didn't help.

to be honest getting a year of gold is a better deal than getting monthly cards, I can usually find a 12 month of Live on Amazon.com for under 50 at times.

Sorry this didn't help.

LOL I find it  funny some fanboy gave me a one star for my posts.  Like I care.  

To me this is what it feels like to be told they won't accept the money they allready have been paid: pressthebuttons.typepad.com/.../6a00d83452033569e20120a545f6cd970c-pi

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote] It SHOULD have changed when they switched to actual currency.  Not allowing to renew with money allready in a account is crazy.

It'd be like buying a gas card from Shell and them telling you that you can't purchase gas with it.  Money is money.  They certainly didn't have trouble taking it from me.  

But this is the last straw for me.  I've put up with Red Rings and other frustrations.  I'm going to use the remaining money to buy the second season of the walking dead game, and then I'm throwing my xbox in the trash where it belongs.  [/quote]

Actually, no. It's more like trying to buy snacks from the gasoline station with your gas card.

Sorry this didn't help.

Not to mention memberships require a reoccurring payment option ms points have never ever been one

Sorry this didn't help.

"No where on the card does it say I am not allowed to renew memberships with the money."

No where on the card does it say that you can so why would you assume you could?

Sorry this didn't help.