Why can't I login at the console level?

Hooked up brand new Xbox last night.  Went on today to set up the Xbox Live that came with it.  I don't have a hotmail account, so I used my gmail account and password.  It said they didn't match (yes they did).  Tried at least three times.  Went to my computer, able to set up an account with my gmail account and password.  Set my account up as the main one with Gold, set up one for my son with controls (kind of a scam that not everyone gets the gold in the family for three months, but ok).  Neither of us can log in at the console. 

I use my first name, gmail addy, gmail password, it says my username/password is associated with a different gamer tag.  Repeat process, but instead of first name, I put in the "gamertag" I was given by Xbox.  Same message.  Try my son's name, my email/password.  Invalid.  Haven't tried his any further, because his is a free membership.  I want the gold for three months that we got with it.

Is there some super secret "name" I should be using?  WTF?!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Hey there! It sounds like you're trying to "Join LIVE" on your console. If you already created the account on the web, then you can actually just Download the profile to your console and skip the "Join LIVE" step. :) For more information on downloading your profile, check out: forums.xbox.com/.../153143.aspx Let us know if this helps! :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

go to accounts.live.com hit sighn up and use your gmail to creat a WLID thin make you XBL account-

when you click on sighn up click the link that says (or use your own email)

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad you got the answer you were looking for! Please feel free to rate your forums experience. :-)

Sorry this didn't help.