Why Can You Only Change Email Associated with GT on Xbox Live Only and Only Once Every 30 Days....

I tried to do this and it told me I could only do it once every 30 days. Well, it was the FIRST time I tried to do it, so why the hell did I get an error?!

And why can you only attempt this on Xbox Live and not through the Internet?! I cant stand typing out words with my joystick. Not hard but time consuming and annoying.

This is just completely annoying. Why should something so simple be made to be such a pain....

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

If you just created the account, you have to wait until it is active for thirty days before you can change the WLID, this is because if someone were to compromise your account, and change the WLID, Xbox would be able to return it to the last WLID and that one be yours, rather than the person who compromised the account change the WLID, change it again, and agin, and again, until it is practially impossible to tell which one was yours. It's a safety measure,. And as far as the inability to do it online, Would you feel safe if you left brwoser history on a public computer that someone could pull up, log in, and steal your account with? I wouldnt. SAFETY.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, that isn't the only reason that this situation could arise. There have been several cases of children switching emails to download and bypass parental controls to access M-rated content or other such features that weren't allowed to them.

Sorry this didn't help.

After doing some research it would appear that this happens based on the date of the Windows Live ID, If it is under 30 days you have to wait to switch it out. Once the account reaches maturity so to speak you should be able to change it. here is a link to a forum posting dealing with the same issue. forums.xbox.com/.../347145.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Phantroneous!  That's some nice sleuthing to be sure, but I'm afraid this thread is almost a year and a half old.  You'll wanna keep an eye on those date stamps.

Sorry this didn't help.

For a while that was disabled because of bad code but you can update email addresses on the web now.

You see, there are three email addresses in the Xbox system for every account.

A) The Microsoft Account, also known as the Windows Live ID, which is used to sign in at websites and download the profile to the Xbox. There's only one Microsoft Account for every Gamertag, and only one Gamertag for every Microsoft Account. If that addresse no longer works or is wrong, you can keep using it until you have time to contact Xbox Support  support.xbox.com/contact-us  for help with your account. You can check or change that on your console with Settings | Account | --> --> Account Security | fib and say you have a new addresse ready | and your current Microsoft Account addresse will appear at right.

B) The alternate email address is where password reset messages go. You can see that at account.live.com/summarypage.aspx and change that by selecting Edit Security Info there or at account.live.com/ManageAssocIds

C) The billing contact email address is where billing statements go. You can see & change that at http://xbox.com/accounts by choosing Billing Contact Information or on the console with Settings | Account --> --> Account Security | Billing Information

B & C can be the same. Ideally, A should not be B or C but that often happens.

Sorry this didn't help.