Why are we paying for free services like YouTube and Canadian TV?

Sorry Microsoft, but I am pretty annoyed at the new services offered through XBox that have to be paid for.  Sticking it to Canada again.

YouTube only available with a Gold membership?  I can get that for free with my Wii, including web surfing.  

Recent TV shows that have been on Canadian TV that I have to pay for?  I just have to go to CTV.ca, space TV, CBC, comedy network et al and I can get them for free.  Yes, I have a computer hooked up to my TV.

Recent release movies for $5 for SD and $7 for HD?  I can get that through my cable box for an average of $1 less, or stream for free from various sources.

App store?  Puhleeze!  Wow.

You are trying to sell the XBox as "the" set-top box, but you are ripping us off and ultimately you will drive customers away. 

Very poor offering, expensive and a waste of money!!  When will you guys learn and when will Canada learn!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="eviljonbob"]

Sorry Microsoft, but I am pretty annoyed at the new services offered through XBox that have to be paid for.  Sticking it to Canada again.

YouTube only available with a Gold membership?  I can get that for free with my Wii, including web surfing.  

Recent TV shows that have been on Canadian TV that I have to pay for?  I just have to go to CTV.ca, space TV, CBC, comedy network et al and I can get them for free.  Yes, I have a computer hooked up to my TV.

Recent release movies for $5 for SD and $7 for HD?  I can get that through my cable box for an average of $1 less, or stream for free from various sources.

You are trying to sell the XBox as "the" set-top box, but you are ripping us off and ultimately you will drive customers away. 

Very poor offering, expensive and a waste of money!!  When will you guys learn and when will Canada learn!

[/quote]

So long as people continue to renew their Gold Memberships or take out new Gold Memberships, they have nothing to learn.

--
Juxtapose13

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="eviljonbob"]Sorry Microsoft, but I am pretty annoyed at the new services offered through XBox that have to be paid for. [/quote]

Technically, you don't have to pay for anything. Simply avoid purchasing an Xbox Live Gold membership.

[/quote]

There you go. If you want these services through your Xbox, you have to pay for them, but if you want them on your computer, they're free. What's the issue, then? And they won't drive customers away. Xbox is a gaming console. Gamers won't be driven away by a few apps that are only accessible with a gold membership.

Sorry this didn't help.

i am going to shovel your words back into your mouth, your not paying for Gold thus being cheap in its self, but have the nerve to complain about the apps not being free, well they are free if you have been subscribing to Xbox live like 99% of the people on live. you seem to be forgetting that we pay for live for a better experience online, better maintenance on the servers etc...the new apps are in ADDITION to what we ALREADY had on live.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Timekill X"]

i am going to shovel your words back into your mouth, your not paying for Gold thus being cheap in its self, but have the nerve to complain about the apps not being free, well they are free if you have been subscribing to Xbox live like 99% of the people on live. you seem to be forgetting that we pay for live for a better experience online, better maintenance on the servers etc...the new apps are in ADDITION to what we ALREADY had on live.

[/quote]

- Not paying for Xbox LIVE is not being cheap.

- We pay for a better experience etc., however I have yet to see this better experience offered.

Do something for me, since you're very pro-premium subscription:  Why is Xbox LIVE worth the $59.99/year.  Please give me a quantifiable reason, as for years now no one has ever been able to.  I don't care if you want to play with your friends all there, or if you like the Xbox platform, please provide me with a solid reason why Xbox LIVE, at $59.99/year, is worth it's cost; what does the service do different that you can't get anywhere else?

As the original poster already pointed out, these free Apps are part of a Gold Membership, so they are not free.  Seems more like an effort for Microsoft to broaden the service and pad the excuse for their overpriced service.

Pretty much everything Xbox LIVE offers can be found for free either on the PC or rival consoles, including it's primary antiquated cost:  Online multiplayer.

So again, what does Xbox LIVE do so differently that makes it worth $59.99/year, fanboy-ism aside?

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

Read my post again and then perhaps respond.  REGARDLESS of gold membership, movies are more expensive, otherwise free TV episodes cost money.....  

I guess i should have put these sentences as separate posts as I seem to have lost you after my first point.

Sorry this didn't help.

That was for noboundz BTW.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Juxtapose13"]Why is Xbox LIVE worth the $59.99/year.  Please give me a quantifiable reason, as for years now no one has ever been able to.[/quote]

Halo. Nuff said.

Sorry this didn't help.

Read my post again and then perhaps respond.  REGARDLESS of gold membership, movies are more expensive, otherwise free TV episodes cost money.....  

I guess i should have put these sentences as separate posts as I seem to have lost you after my first point.

[/quote]

I understand what you're saying. I just don't see the point in complaining about it because, as you point out, all of the features that require a paid membership on Xbox can be obtained for free elsewhere. Perhaps XBL should be free, and perhaps its apps as well, but they aren't, and they won't be.

I for one like Xbox, and I pay for Live, not for the apps, but for multiplayer.

Sorry this didn't help.

So don't pay for them. Problem solved?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="noboundz"]

[quote user="Juxtapose13"]Why is Xbox LIVE worth the $59.99/year.  Please give me a quantifiable reason, as for years now no one has ever been able to.[/quote]

Halo. Nuff said.

[/quote]

Ha!  I did say fanboy-ism aside ;).

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.