Why are online purchases so expensive.

Just wrote on a blog (linked in sig) about the cost of games through Xbox Live compared to shop sales or online purchases.

Why the disparity in the direction it's in.  Shouldn't games be at least a little cheaper through Live due to the lack of any physical products etc...

Are console manufacturers fixing the prices higher to keep shops in business?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Why do they charge so much for online purchases?

Answer: Because they think you are willing/stupid enough to pay for them.

IF the EU were to force MS to offer games via 3rd party services, then there will be some competition, which I hope they do

[quote user="Farscape247"]

The price is also higher as they cannot compete directly with retailers, if the games were cheaper through on demand then retailers would lose a lot of business, Microsoft has no say in what price is set but they do have guidelines, the prices are set by the devs.

[/quote]

I find it hard to believe the developers have a say in the price of a 3 year old game. At that point they would probably just want to get more downloads and the price would reflect that.

Does anyone remember when downloadable games were coming and morons would say "They will be much cheaper as they will have no outlay to retailers, etc etc etc, blah blah blah. I cant wait for this to come into action!"

Har Har Har.

I remember arguing against it back on PC gamers old website years ago before Steam took off.

Yeah, I'm loving the savings. Not to mention the lack of any real item for my money. and you should too. Microsoft are only thinking of you and so are the Publishers.

The price is also higher as they cannot compete directly with retailers, if the games were cheaper through on demand then retailers would lose a lot of business, Microsoft has no say in what price is set but they do have guidelines, the prices are set by the devs.

[quote user="US Revenge"]

its expensive because you pay $60 and get nothing out of it. face it. gold offers no benefit that you can only find from MS.

-

the reason they are so expensive is they never really lower prices. it has nothing to be with convenience  if anything Downloadable titles should be cheaper because you don't have to use disks cases or ship the thing across the world.

-

Simply, MS puts a game, or DLC on the market place.. then leaves it there and never looks again. there are rare moments that MS puts an item on sale or drops something in price. but its usually at the request of a publisher.

-

PSN/sony to a lesser degree does the same thing. it is no where near as far off in price but it is still $10 more or so then a retail disk, and as I said, downloading a title should be cheaper always.

[/quote]

Right, but that's what was stated earlier.  The reason why downloadable games are more expensive as the disc version is because of convenience.  You're paying the price to not go somewhere and buy it.  In theory it should cost less, but MS & Sony will take a lot of advantage of the "convenience" factor.

It's due to a non competitive policy with retail.

Like buying something at Sony Central, as opposed to going to a major retail chain and getting a substantial discount.

its expensive because you pay $60 and get nothing out of it. face it. gold offers no benefit that you can only find from MS.

-

the reason they are so expensive is they never really lower prices. it has nothing to be with convenience  if anything Downloadable titles should be cheaper because you don't have to use disks cases or ship the thing across the world.

-

Simply, MS puts a game, or DLC on the market place.. then leaves it there and never looks again. there are rare moments that MS puts an item on sale or drops something in price. but its usually at the request of a publisher.

-

PSN/sony to a lesser degree does the same thing. it is no where near as far off in price but it is still $10 more or so then a retail disk, and as I said, downloading a title should be cheaper always.

[quote user="BlitheAcrobat8"]

This has been an on going issue with MS over pricing everything in their store and subscription fees as well.Best thing to do is just not pay the price and maybe MS will lower it.

[/quote]

Subscription fees aren't expensive... A 12 month is 100x cheaper then paying for your own ISP monthly... + saves you money from paying the 1 month+ subscriptions.

They normally make too many of the games on disc & they sell them off cheap, to atleast make some money back from them..

The online price, is the true development price of the games, so they don't lose money etc...