Who sets the prices on repair?

Does anyone know how to contact and which department it is that decides policies like the $99 repair policy for XBOXs? Technical Support doesn't have this information. Is it legal? Or repairs?

Basically my issue is that I think its crazy that I would need to pay half the cost of a new console to fix my old console because of the E74 error that, from what I can tell, is a manufacturing defect. I'm 5 months out of the 3 year warranty, so I can understand not being able to have it fixed for free, but the repair cost for something that is Microsoft's fault should be on a sliding scale outside of warranty... so the farther you're are of warranty, the more it costs.

It should be in MS interest to keep its customers happy and buying games and for a console that was, when I bought, $350, it should last more than 3.5 years. I like my XBOX, well until it died, but it such prices for repair on an already pricey console it doesn't make me trust Microsoft's hardware very much.

My Nintendo Wii may be an inferior system, but at least Nintendo's hardware usually lasts.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

1-800-4MY-XBOX is the number you might want to call.  As for the price of repair, I am sure there is a reasonable explanation on why it cost that much to repair. Let's start off with shipping: Shipping the system would probably be $10 to and from the manufacturer. Since you do not pay shipping it would be like this- $99-$20= $79. So that $79 is paying for what ever parts your system may need and the labor provided to fix the system. I know it seems pricey but the reason is just.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This is all fine and dandy but when you spend 450$ on a new console and it has issues within 3 months ,

a one year warranty does not seem to be enough so yes you can extend it ....

my problem is my first system red ringed , then every 2 years my refurbished consoles red ringed .....

i had faith that 6 years into the game the system i bought in April of 2012 would last me till the next xbox....

i wonder if i made a mistake in my purchase , once again i'm in forums discussing issues because when your console is in repair its kind of upsetting , and sometime's you wonder if anyone at xbox is listening

I live in Seattle and for the life of me can't believe it has to be shipped all the way to Texas !!!

so i'm glad i have my retro white old xbox to hook up i figure its moments from red ringing because of the every 2 year thing !!Happy Gaming !!!  so yes 80 for parts that should be working in the first place does not seem like much

But when you add up all the collectors ed. , controllers , mics. and games that are purchased is it to much to ask for a working console? a one year warranty to me doesn't back a product up much !!!! and i am no hater i love my 360's !!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand your frustration. I have a new slim model and it works fine. As for the warranty, yes Microsoft has only a 1 year warranty but I'm sure wherever you purchased your Xbox probably has/had a separate extended warranty. I know the price is steep. I'm sorry for the frustration.

Sorry this didn't help.